3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

2002 Spyder Eclipse convertible...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Default 2002 Spyder Eclipse convertible...need advice..PLEASE

long story..sorry...had Tire Kingdom replace my belts, one came loose after about 20 miles of driving and locked up my engine. Tire Kingdom took resp. for it and replaced my engine with a used engine with about 20,000 more miles on it than my engine (when it was being replaced they told me something different on the mileage and I discovered the facts later). Anyway, they said they would warrant the new engine for 3 years and I felt that was ok, having gone thru much aggrevation up to that point. Problem is...now things keep happening to the car and I don't know if the new engine is causing the problems or not. Tire Kingdom had a lot of trouble getting the new engine in and working, in fact they had to send it to the dealor in the end to get something in it right. Since then, I have probably put less than 200 miles on the car and my check engine light has come on twice. The first problem was the upstream oxygen sensor which they replaced at no charge because they said they had replaced it when they changed out the engine. Now the check engine light is on again and now they say it is the downstream oxygen sensor but that I will have to pay an additional $250 to get this replaced as they did not replace it. Now I'm wondering if the new engine (or the engine they put in my car that had 80,000 miles on it) is causing all these problems. My original engine only had 45,000 miles on it and I had never had a problem at all with the car prior to them replacing the belts. Anyone have a take on this situation? What I'd like to know is if there are any mechanical experts reading this post if they can tell me if changing out an engine (obviously with an engine with 80,000 miles on it) could be causing these oxygen sensors to go out due to whatever reason or all this just coincidental. I know it would just be a guess but I'm curious. Since replacing the engine it has had periods of rough idling.

Last edited by JudyM; 11-18-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 AM

sorry to hear about your issues. the o2 sensors are located in the exhaust piping, would not have been replaced durring an engine swap. i can say that its possible that they might have gotten damaged durring the swap. that is a big job and things happen. the idle issue is the new engine and i bet the idle speed control motor is acting up. possible to readjust the idles and fix it, but if not the idle speed control motor will have to be replaced. no telling how long the new engine sat in a wharehouse before it made it into your car. that is the pitfalls of a new used engine. hopefully they replaced the timming belt on the new engine, at 80,000 that 20,000 miles overdue for a timming belt swap. timming belt breaks you start this process all over again.