3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

3g engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Default RE: 3g engine swap

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

you would have to make modifications to the firewall to make the engine fit.

just a question....do you know ANYTHING about the 4G64? the engine has great potential. it can hold atleast 15psi of boost all on stock internals. i know of one guy that has pushed it to 19psi and has been running fine for about a month. i think thats great for an engine that was never suppose to see boost.

just so you know...there are alot of similarities between the 4G63t and the 4G64.
firewall most likley not but motor mounts may have to be moved not sure if they mounts on the block of the 4g64 which is a 2.4l SOHC and the 4g63 is a 2.0l DOHC correct me if im wrong are the same. it is little stuff like that that will cost a lot you may need a new ecu wireing harness these are possablites that cost a lot when all added together.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: get435
you may need a new ecu wireing harness
You will need a new ecu... along with

transmission
axles
cluch asyembly
shifter cables
fuel lines
fuel pump
intake manifold
TB
custom down pipe
custom ic setup
fcd
fuel press regulator
coil pack
plugs
wires
fly wheel
power stearing asyembly
a/c asyembly
altanator
motor mounts
all of the electrical sensors, knock, cam pos., mas, tps, ips, ect.
may need stearing setup
suspension
turbo
new exaust
fuel rails
injectors
motor, thats if you lucky enough to get a good deal on something that comes with a compleat head and bottom end.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Lets add this up, a custom turbo kit(depending on how you make it) at the most could cost you 1600 for a 4g64. Now if we go to the top of the list transmission (1500) axles (400-used). Clipse if you want to spend the cash to do it, then go ahead. But what your going to spend on just 2 curcial pices of the swap you could have a boosted 2.4 opposed to a boosted 2.0.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: get435
firewall most likley not but motor mounts may have to be moved not sure if they mounts on the block of the 4g64 which is a 2.4l SOHC and the 4g63 is a 2.0l DOHC correct me if im wrong are the same. it is little stuff like that that will cost a lot you may need a new ecu wireing harness these are possablites that cost a lot when all added together.
the motor mounts do not line up.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:08 PM

if the goal is just to be in a magazine than thats sad. in all reality you are gong to waste your money and lose torque. Build up your motor that you have now and you will be a happier guy. By the way, most mag cars get in through knowing people and i doubt that would make a mag

Old 09-06-2005, 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

if the goal is just to be in a magazine than thats sad.
You took the words right out of my mouth, if you want to make a mag put an ls1 into an eclipse.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:19 AM

let me try and help this guy save some money. There are pro's and con's to doing this swap. The 3G 4G64 is the same as my 4G64 so I have done tons of research on this. You can drop in a 4G3T but your going to need to find a motor from a EVO IV and up. That will run you about $5,000 and up for a good motor. Cheapest way of doing it. Now if you want to get all fancy about it and try to reach magazines then keep your 4G64 block and mate it with a 4G63t again from a EVO IV and up. That would make you have a DOHC 2.4L motor capable of alot. Now if you just want to be turbocharged you can use parts from DSM's like mani's and turbo's. Injectors and such.

Taking a 4G63t from a DSM will not be an easy swap since the motors are turned from each other and you would have to do a custom fit just to start. Your better off doing the evo motor swap. Doing the evo swap will also give you the opportunity to use twin scroll turbo's. Best of both worlds IMO.

Also if you want to use the EVO motor just get a standalone and you will be fine. Also I would convert your auto if you have auto to manual. Should be hard to do the swap from a manual 3G.

Hope that helps........

Old 09-09-2005, 04:14 AM

Honestly it goes well beyond the desire to get in a magazine and or win a few shows. Those would just be perks. In all honesty isnt import tuning exactly that tuning. creating something new something that hasnt been done before. Have something completely different than every other car out there of the same model. And the thing is right now I have the 6 cylinder in it and those have proven quite difficult to build horsepower on. The only effective bolt on I have seen is the Ripp supercharger and that isnt even producing really nice power over stock. And sure I could pull the v-6 move the mounts for the 4g64 but if Im gonna bother to move the mounts for that why not do it for the 4g63 which has WAY more aftermarket support.But thats just my thoughts. But I hope everybody here had fun with their barrage of negative and useless comments. Those of you who actually had usefull things to say thanks. And I was thinking about pullin the motor and transmission from the 99 gst eclipse. Any more info on this that is usefull will be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Clipse

Honestly it goes well beyond the desire to get in a magazine and or win a few shows. Those would just be perks. In all honesty isnt import tuning exactly that tuning. creating something new something that hasnt been done before. Have something completely different than every other car out there of the same model. And the thing is right now I have the 6 cylinder in it and those have proven quite difficult to build horsepower on. The only effective bolt on I have seen is the Ripp supercharger and that isnt even producing really nice power over stock. And sure I could pull the v-6 move the mounts for the 4g64 but if Im gonna bother to move the mounts for that why not do it for the 4g63 which has WAY more aftermarket support.But thats just my thoughts. But I hope everybody here had fun with their barrage of negative and useless comments. Those of you who actually had usefull things to say thanks. And I was thinking about pullin the motor and transmission from the 99 gst eclipse. Any more info on this that is usefull will be appreciated.
you can turbo the v6. i know a number of v6's putting out close to 300whp on the stock internals. after that, all it takes is replacing the pistons and 400whp is obtainable. and there is a reliable turbo kit made for the 3G. RIPP is not the only FI option.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:07 PM

lol I thought you have the 4G64. If your looking for a turbo kit for the 6G72 then I suggest the Tearstone kit:

http://www.tearstone.com/portal/inde...=com_frontpage

Where about to install the kit in a Galant here in the Bay and I can tell you the outcome. Of course this is all based on when we get the kit.........

My boy has been waiting forever.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Prophet

lol I thought you have the 4G64. If your looking for a turbo kit for the 6G72 then I suggest the Tearstone kit:

http://www.tearstone.com/portal/inde...=com_frontpage

Where about to install the kit in a Galant here in the Bay and I can tell you the outcome. Of course this is all based on when we get the kit.........

My boy has been waiting forever.
Donny does take a little while to get things finished...but he has gotten a little better. how long has your boy been waiting?

Quick Reply: 3g engine swap