3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

3rd gen eclipse not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Default 3rd gen eclipse not starting

I have a 5spd 3rd gen gs. For some reason I lost power to it friday night. The alternator belt was ate up. I tried starting it Saturday and today. Everything come on. It wants to start but something won't let it fire up. Confused as to wht to. First car idk wht to do. The service manual doesn't say much.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 PM

It wants to start but something won't
let it fire up.

...meaning what? Cranks but doesnt catch? Makes clicking noise? Doesnt make any noise?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:51 AM

It has power but it turns over but wont actually start like run or anything. All my lights on my dash are lit up.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by chazspeedy69
I have a 5spd 3rd gen gs. For some reason I lost power to it friday night. The alternator belt was ate up. I tried starting it Saturday and today. Everything come on. It wants to start but something won't let it fire up. Confused as to wht to. First car idk wht to do. The service manual doesn't say much.
OK, lets back up here. Sometimes it helps to be a little more descriptive.

1) "Lost power Friday night". What exactly do you mean? You were driving along and it suddenly quit? You were sitting there listening to the radio and lost power? More info please.

2) "Alternator belt was ate up". Was this before, during or after the "lost power" event? What dio you mean "ate up"? Like a squirrel got in there and chewed it up? A pulley siezed? Was it broken?

3)"Tried starting it Saturday and today", what have you done to it so far? Did you have to replace the belt? Does it have power now? Does it have gas?

I take it it is turning over but not starting, which would mean a fuel or spark issue. Take a plug out and see if you have spark when you turn it over. (if you dont know how to do this, search for some checking spark videos on you tube).

Try disconnecting the battery for a bit to "reset" everything. You say "all the lights on the dash are lit up", are they lit constantly or just when you turn the key to start (at which point they would all be lit up as a bulb check). Sounding like something got fried.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-10-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 AM

Srry im on a smartphone and its a pain in the *** to type. I was headed to my moms house and I shifted into 2nd and for some reason the car just died. I checked under the hood and the alternator belt was ate up by a pulley i guess. When I put the key to on all the lights are on. When i try to start it the lights are on. I disconnected the battery which had 50% on it. Fully charged it and still did not start. There's also a bracket for the alternator tht bolts in the alternator and the engine. It looks like a bracket for the turbo model but I have a non turbo model.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM

4 or 6 cylinder? It does or does not turn over? Timing belt snapped?

Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 PM

4 cylinder. It cranks but doesn't turn over. The timing belt is intact

Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by chazspeedy69
4 cylinder. It cranks but doesn't turn over. The timing belt is intact
It cranks but won't turn over? Sorry, to me cranking the engine means it is turning over. So your saying the starter is spinning but the engine is not turning over? Then that would be a starter problem or flywheel.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:52 PM

once again, is the belt actually broken? if it is, check and see if the belt damaged the wires of the crankshaft position sensor. it will disable the motor.

Last edited by doofusmagee; 04-10-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 AM

People posting for complicated technical help on a smartphone = lots of missing information. Op, get on a computer and explain things a little better.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen eclipse not starting