3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:38 AM
Default aftermarket radio

hey yall. i got an 02 eclipse still stock, w/ the infinity sound system in it. all the local car places are telling me its like $1000 to change the factory radio to a aftermarket one (so i can use my ipod) its gotta be easier then that.... but how?

i'd appreciate any help you can give. or direct me towards an already posted how-to....

thanks.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Default RE: aftermarket radio

At a place here if you buy the aftermarket stereo from them, they install it free. I have a Pioneer head unit with an AUX plug (I bought separately from Pioneer) and plug my ipod right into it. I can't use the head unit to navigate the ipod itself (scroll through songs / change settings) but I can use it to adjust my stereo systems sound output and equalize the sound thought the head unit. They sell something called an ice link that I am trying to learn more about. It lets you actually navigate the ipod through your head unit and even displays the info if your h/u can read text. I think too, if your car has controls on the steering wheel, it will work with them. I don't know for sure because I haven't come across enough info yet. For under a thousand dollars though I bought 2 sets of Alpine separate component speakers and had one set custom installed, a 10" Rockford sub & box, small Alpine amp and that expensive Viper alarm with the pager feature. Plus I bought a second remote for it. My head unit came from another vehicle but to have all of that installed plus what I had to purchase was still under a thousand. Also, I have an '02 sporty Eclipse GT. All you need to look for is a head unit that has an AUX feature in order to play your ipod. Some now have them where you can plug your ipod right into the front. Mine is a wire that comes out the back of the h/u and I don't smoke so it runs in where my ash tray was. I have the actual ash tray pulled out and my ipod fits right in it's place all plugged in and ready to use. Plus if I need a charge, the cigarette lighter thing is right next to it and I can just plug in the adapter and bury the wires in the cubby thing.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:43 PM

The easier way is not really easy. They are quoting you high because the infinity system has a stock amp which will not work with an aftermarket head unit. You will need to run new wires to the speakers from the deck. I am not sure but you may be able to run the wires from the deck to where the amp is and wire into the out on the amp. Like take where the wires go from the amp to the speakers and connect the appropriate ones to the harness on the deck, this would be easier, if you could do it, then running all new wires. There's quite a few cars with systems like this where you run into the same problems. Some of the newer gen mustangs were made with what they called the mach 460 sound system which is similar in design and being a pain in the *** to change as our infinities.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:09 PM

so if you basically rewire the h.u to the amp there shouldn't be a problem?
and has anyone done this??

pioneer has as attachment for 2 new h.u's that allows you to control the ipod from the h.u... thats why i'm looking....

Old 01-05-2005, 07:37 PM

No, not to the amp, uless you could figure out some way to do that. The connector from the amp to the stock unit is not the type you'd have on the deck, I was saying you could wire in right after the amp and might be able to skip most of the running of the wires. That's only if the amp sends straight to each speaker from the out.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:49 PM

What models are those head units? Maybe I'll look into getting one instead of that ice link thing. When I got my system installed I was told it's just easier and cheaper to get a new amp and totally bypass the factory one so I did.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:06 PM

I'm not sure what the deal with mine is. When I got it there was already a pioneer deck so I don't know how it's wired up. All I know is that the stock amp is still under the seat. You guys think I could get some money for it on ebay?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:57 AM

I have a pioneer DEH7700MP - and also I bought with the the CD-IB100 ipod adapter - plus right into the back of the radio and then you can run the ipod lead to wherever - i will proilly put it in my glove box. i know the 7700 and the model for the year before i think the 7600 has this feature. i got a deal because i know someone who works at a shop but the radios are 200-300 hundy and the ipod adapted is i THINK $120, or somewhere around there (it was like 40 bucks less than the XM adapter for the same radio) and itll let you control your ipod through the radio.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 AM

Are you sure about that vertstanggt. Those built in amps are most likely high input. From my experience, you can easily send the right output from an aftermarket radio to a built in amp.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 AM

if you are just looking to play your IPOD on your car, you can buy an FM transmitter that will broadcast your IPOD to a radio station that you can pick up for about 3 car lengths around it. Wont get you a new stereo, but it will get the job you are looking for done. Plus, its cheaper. I have one and it works great.

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio