3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Default Battery

I have an 03 GTS, and I plan on installing my system this week however on my old car (an 00 GS eclipse) I had to replace the battery because the stock one could not support the system. I replaced it with an optima red top which is one of the best batteries you can buy. That worked out great, however I left the battery in it because the night i picked up the new car(and would have switched them) it was pouring rain, and I didnt have the right tool on me. The dealer was very nice and is mailing me a check so that I can buy a new optima my self to install in the GTS. When I install the system the car will be running off the stock battery until I can get the new one....is the battery for the GTS any better than the one in the GS?, and do you think it will be able to supply enough power to the system until I can get the optima? I dont want to end up with my car dieing, and having to jump start it everytime I want to go some where...which is what I had to do about a week after I put the system into the old car before i bought the new battery. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know so that I can decide to hold off on the install until I get the optima or not. Thanks

Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Default RE: Battery

Im not sure if they are the same... But my 98 gst spyder went into limp mode for the transmission because of my stereo... Im not sure if the 3rd gens are like the 2nd gens in that matter but just somethin to watch out for..

Old 11-21-2005, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: sunshinee

I have an 03 GTS, and I plan on installing my system this week however on my old car (an 00 GS eclipse) I had to replace the battery because the stock one could not support the system. I replaced it with an optima red top which is one of the best batteries you can buy. That worked out great, however I left the battery in it because the night i picked up the new car(and would have switched them) it was pouring rain, and I didnt have the right tool on me. The dealer was very nice and is mailing me a check so that I can buy a new optima my self to install in the GTS. When I install the system the car will be running off the stock battery until I can get the new one....is the battery for the GTS any better than the one in the GS?, and do you think it will be able to supply enough power to the system until I can get the optima? I dont want to end up with my car dieing, and having to jump start it everytime I want to go some where...which is what I had to do about a week after I put the system into the old car before i bought the new battery. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know so that I can decide to hold off on the install until I get the optima or not. Thanks
no...the batteries are the same. after getting a new battery, i would also look into getting a higher output alternator.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:41 PM

just how many watts are u pushing?

Old 11-22-2005, 03:52 PM

i was pushing 2000 and was having problems with it.... But my other eclipse I had could handle it... Wierd.. I know

Old 11-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

my RT has the GT parts, and i have a competition 2400w amp, and i dont even have my cap hooked up, running a stoch HU and that amp, through two 12s.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:52 PM

i beleve it is recomened anything after 800-1000W is to get a drycell or gelcell. what kinda sub(s) are you running?

Old 11-23-2005, 10:57 AM

I have two 12" subs with a rockford fosgate punch amp its 1500w. In my old car( eclipse) I only installed the one sub, but Ive been debating on putting in two into the new car. I dont want it to be too much bass since the hatch brings so much out of just the one sub. I agree with getting the gel/dry cell battery, and I didnt need a cap with the old car either. Now I will be putting in a different headunit becuase I dont have a four channel amp and dont want to have to rewire my rear speakers and buy a different amp, so using the am headunit lets me still use my amp.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:42 PM

i have one volfenhag 12" sub with a 1000W amp @ 12v and i have yet to see somone have a louder system. the only one i have see is my cusion and he had 4 precison audio 12" subs on the same amp in a sealed box we tried to put my sub in a sealed box and blew the box up lol.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:03 PM

BTW the sub is a 12" alpine type S

Quick Reply: Battery