3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

brakes and tuneup...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008 | 09:11 AM
|
Default brakes and tuneup...

I drive a 2003 spyder gt

Just changed the front brake pads and rotors.
Got em from here and they are fine, got the dimpled and slotted with ceramic pads.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...FQQRGgoddTvDew

It drives fine and the brakes work fine but I am getting a high pitched sqeak from the front drivers side when braking at low speeds... They work great but the squeaks sounds like my pads are gone. Any idea why this is happenning? My only answer is that the rotor isn't seated perfectly. Should I take it off clean the hub and reseat it? I only have 500 miles on the brakes now.

My second question is that my check engine light is on and off every 50 to 100 miles. Had it checked and says it is an EGR error. Would new plugs and cables solve this possibly? I just had a new oem exhaust put on due to a ditch that jumped out in front of me so it isn't in the exhaust. The problem is in the fuel system or cylinders somewhere... I'm guessing. Another thing... Looks like I have to take the manifold off to replace 3 of the plugs, anything else I should do while I have that open? gaskets, belts, anything? It needs some regular maintenance and I'm broke as sin so I'm trying to do as much as I can as far as tuning it up. I asked and a tune-up would be $380 + parts....... ouch.

Old 05-05-2008 | 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: brakes and tuneup...

What kind of pads did you get w/ the rotors? Depending what material the pads are thats prabaly where the squeak is coming from.

Plugs and wires wont fix your egr code. The egr has to deal with your emissions, either the egr valve is bad, clogged or no vacuum to the egr valve.

How many miles do you have on the car?

Old 05-05-2008 | 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

For the brakes. You will get squeking from ceramic pads, thats just how they are.

Old 05-05-2008 | 10:19 AM
|

ok, ceramic pads is the problem then... still seems louder than normal though and it's only the drivers side... 74k miles on the car. EGR valve........ need to find out where that is and check/replace it. That stupid light is pissing me off

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:00 AM
|

how do I check the Egr valve and vacuum sensor? The $110 for the valve itself is going to be hard to scrounge up.... I'm switching careers and really broke, plus, I like doing the work on the car. Any advice is appreciated. I found the valve but I have no idea how to check if that is the problem...

Can I fix it or do I NEED to replace the whole valve?

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

to test the egr valve just start the engine and disconnect the main vacuum hose from it. If the valve opens and the enginehesitates and slows then they are fine. If nothing different happens then either the EGR is not functioning or the hose is clogged

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Since your at 74k miles I'd suggest doing the 60k asap if you didnt do it already. As for the egr valve apply vacuum to it at idle and if it acts like stalling then the egr valve is working properly.

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

What is the code your getting?

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:32 AM
|

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

What is the code your getting?
lost the paper I wrote it on, I'll get it checked again and repost.

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:55 AM
|

thx for the help, I'll start a new thread when I get the code and after I check the valve manually. Gotta go to work now... starbucks... it pays the bills and I get health insurance...

Quick Reply: brakes and tuneup...