3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

FF Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: FF Drifting

Dude you dont understand what they are do you. What you are doing is not powersliding. Its ebrake sliding. Two different things. Powersliding is exactly what it sounds like, you start to make the turn, slam the gas and countersteer the car with the power being what gives you your drift. You cannot do a powerslide with FWD car because there is this thing called torquesteer where the power to the front wheels actually steers your car straight

So yea go ahead and have fun with your fake drifting (ebrake sliding) but just know that anyone watching is actually laughing at you, not with you

Old 02-01-2008, 10:17 AM

Okay:
-I'm done with dry weather powerslides (or E-Brake Slides, Engineer) due to lack of.. Dry weather. I've only done it once or twice, and after reading your responses I agree that it is probable that damage will be done to the car.
-I have not ruined a set of tires yet, but like I said, i'm on my second pair that I use. I bought a set of 'drifting' tires (with rims that aren't too bad either) from a shady guy at work for $50, I didn't ask where he got them. Its just so substanial damage to my rims or quality tires does not occur.
-It mainly is countersteering, and I should have typed the message at the top while I wasn't high. I apologise for saying it was drifting, because it is completely the opposite, the rear tires are locked.

Now: The reason I began was over a bet with some douche at work. This guy brought out his 240sx with an R32 engine inside, **** if I know how he got it. Anyway, he bought the 240 the day after he saw 'Tokyo Drift' and the engine arrived two months later.. The idiot had all the work done at the body shop, and has spent around $20,000 on this car... He could have saved $5000 and done it himself, but thats just my opinion. Anyway, he thinks he is the 'best drifter' around, calling himself 'DK.'

I was kind of fed up with this asswipe who had money and couldn't drift a classic car. So, I talked to the other guy at work, got these 'drifing' wheels, and put them on in my garage. I went out to the empty lot, and practiced powersliding on my own. I have to admit, the dry conditions for it were kind of rough, and that was the last time I did it. I returned when it snowed, and had some fun.

So I told the cocky douchebag with the 240 about it, and he laughed for a week. I finally got him to agree to go out there and show his stuff.. Heres the good part...

I went out there, did some nice powerslides, around some poles and far from danger of hitting anything. I had fun, and showed him what I could do.

He got out there, and immediately floored it for maybe.. 10 seconds? He just spit up snow and caused engine wear. He swore, tried again, and launched. He went around the pole, didn't countersteer, and did a 180. Tried again, did a 180. He gave it another shot, and went over the curb into a ditch. The intercooler was ****ed, the gay little bodykit he bought was ruined, and best of all, his pride gone.

I had to teach a rich idiot a lesson, sorry if you all took it the wrong way. I wanted to know if by doing this in the snow if I was screwing up my car. Apparently it doesn't really do much damage, unless I.. Hit something (Note it is a huge parking lot closed off, about 1/4 mile long by 1/8 mile wide). The douche went for the outer part of the lot like an idiot.

I thank all of you for your opinions and advice on this, and I hope you all can laugh about it. I sure did, and so did the entire staff. (He tried showing off at work in the parking lot, and hit some girl's BMW, too).

So about the suggestion to buy a 240.. I'm not really into older cars.
I'm planning on buying a car this summer.. Here are the candidates:

Lancer Evolution VIII
Suburu Impreza WRX STi
Nissan 350z
Nissan 300zx TT (1996, oldest i'd go)

What do you think of these cars? I am really liking how the Evo 8 looks.. It goes around the same as the STi, so its a difficult decision.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM

Well seeing how I have an Evo and we are on a mitsu forum I think the reponce will be predictable as to what I will say. How ever you dont want an old car but you will buy a 96 300zx why not get a 240 and do a sylvia swap to it. cheap and easy. turbo and RWD

Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM

Well, for one thing, I prefer the build of the 300zx- If I am buying a car that old, it is going to be a project car (meaning just about everything will be replaced). If im not mistaken, can't the 300z do a silvia swap as well?

I think i'm leaning towards the Evo III or IX.

One thing I am told though, is the clutch on the WRX is slightly better than the Evo, I am clueless as to why- this is just something I heard, give me your take on it?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: isimon77

Well, for one thing, I prefer the build of the 300zx- If I am buying a car that old, it is going to be a project car (meaning just about everything will be replaced). If im not mistaken, can't the 300z do a silvia swap as well?

I think i'm leaning towards the Evo III or IX.

One thing I am told though, is the clutch on the WRX is slightly better than the Evo, I am clueless as to why- this is just something I heard, give me your take on it?
If you launch alot yea, but the WRX tranny is also a POS. and the STi motors have weak ringland that can crack on bolt on mods when they get around 400whp. The sti is very hard to run faster than 11s. and costs a fortune to get there. the Evo with simple bolt ons and c16 and tune can get you close to that. plus the Evo motor is good to 530HP so IDK.

All I can say is test drive both cars.if cruise control doesnt matter to much to you then I bet the Evo is the car youll buy.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM

All I need now is a job that doesn't pay for ****.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Cable company pays for my Evo and all its mods lol. and my apartment and what ever the hell else I buy

Old 02-02-2008, 12:43 AM

Okay, check this car out:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/car/559076483.html
I can get it for $650. Should I? Automatic, kept in fairly good condition, high mileage.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:36 AM

good candidate to swap an SR20DET in there

Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 AM

and making it 5 speed's easy i slapped a 5 speed tranny in my 89 240sx, and i replaced the engine with the dohc cuz i was gunna turbo it, but never ended up doing it. and 240's are awesome for drifting, they get the job done