3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Hello everyone, looking for solid info on the 3G Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Default Hello everyone, looking for solid info on the 3G Eclipse

Greetings!

I'm looking for information about the 3G Eclipse. My girlfriend is ready to get her first car and she has always loved the looks of the 3G. Now of course, looks aren't everything, so I wanted to ask you guys some basic questions.

1. How reliable (engine/drivetrain, suspension, body, interior) is the 3G? She's going to want an Automatic, is there a difference reliability-wise? Are there any years we should flat-out avoid?

2. We're most likely going to go for the RS or GS for the fuel economy. Are there any significant differences between the RS and GS we should be aware of?

3. How rough are the costs of ownership/ annual maintenance? How rough are the average insurance rates?

4. We're looking for a 3Gunder $10k, and we live near Cleveland, Ohio. Based on my research, it seems that the latest model car we could get for that price would be the 2003, maybe the 2004?

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Default RE: Hello everyone, looking for solid info on the 3G Eclipse

ORIGINAL: StickForLife

1. How reliable (engine/drivetrain, suspension, body, interior) is the 3G? She's going to want an Automatic, is there a difference reliability-wise? Are there any years we should flat-out avoid?

Good choice, not just for the fuel mileage, but the 4g64 found in the RS/GS is in my experience a more dependable motor than the 6g72 in the GT/GTS. Its also more 'moddable' if you ever want to go that route.

2. We're most likely going to go for the RS or GS for the fuel economy. Are there any significant differences between the RS and GS we should be aware of?

The RS is the base model, and is generally found w/o Leather, Pwr options (windows, and locks) and doesnt have the sunroof etc. Those are the basic differences.

3. How rough are the costs of ownership/ annual maintenance? How rough are the average insurance rates?

Not too bad at all. Insurance will look at it the same as they will ANY Eclipse, or compact sports car.

4. We're looking for a 3G under $10k, and we live near Cleveland, Ohio. Based on my research, it seems that the latest model car we could get for that price would be the 2003, maybe the 2004?

Assuming youll be buying it from a dealership, that price range should cover all the years of the 3G RS/GS.

Thanks for your help!