3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

I need to lower my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 AM
Default I need to lower my car!!

Hey guys,I have a 01 GT w/ 18' rims
so... as you have probably figured out, I want to lower my car, but i dont know the "right way" to do it.
What should i buy?
lowering springs?
Shoks?
Struts?
Coilovers?
a combination of those?
please holler at me and give me all the information you can.... about what to buy? how much i can lower my car w/o ****ing anyhting up?
how do i get the best handling?
And if any of you guys have/had a kit, please tell me if you liked it or not, weather you recomend it or not...
Thank you in advance

Serge

Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Default RE: I need to lower my car!!

the right way, and the right way for you are two diffrent things,
obviously the right thing is do know what size wheel and tires you are wanting, then to get a set of remote resovoir threaded body coil-overs. Thats the right way, its also the most expensive way.
how much money are you wanting to spend

(i didnt recommend anything else about the suspension becuase you said you wanted it low, not handle ***** to the wall)

Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

There are two "good" ways in order to lower a car

1. Getting as soundcolor said, fully adjustable coilovers. Now for a good set of these your looking at over $800 but that will include both the strut and the springs and you will be able to lower the car from .5"-3" So you have more control. Now one thing with this is if you plan on going lower than around 1.5" then you may need to make camber adjustments added to the total cost to get a camber kit.

2. Go with a set of lowering springs. Some good brands are tein, goldline, and eibach. These will cost on the average of $150-250. Then buy a nice set of shocks/struts to go with it. I alwasy recommend KYB since they have been proven and make a really nice ride. With them there are two types. The normal strut (GR-2) which still gives a decent ride for $230 or the adjustables which allow you to adjust the stiffness (AGX) which goes for $450. So total for this would be around $380-$700 depending on what brands you go with.

If it were me ive always like the spring and strut method but its up to you. Also note that each type of lowering spring has different ride hieghts depending on the brand (ex eibachs will lower the car 1.3")

Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM

course, there is always the "hey, i want my car to handle really well too, not just be stupid low"
In that respect, i would suggest a quality set of coilovers,(threaded body shock with springs on the threaded collars)or a quality set ground-control coil-overs,(coil-over shock kit)and a set of KYB AGX's Then I would add some good camber plates, and a camber kit for the rear. Throw in a good set of chassis braces (front and rear sturt tower bars, and lower arm-bars) a set of suspension techniques anti-roll bars, and then get some good quality urethane master kit from your choice of vender (ive had good results with energy suspensions stuff) have it aligned as close to factory as possible first, then add about a half degree more camber in front, and call it a day. More camber will help you corner better, but too much will wear out your tires on the street. Also, dont forget, Tires make more diffrence than any other suspension modification there is. So get some really good tires (bridgstone IMO makes the best, but Kumhos are very good, and cheap too)
Now your car will be low as you want it, and handle well to boot.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 PM

Is it possible to just buy lowering springs and thats it? Use the stock shocks/ struts?

Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 PM

you can but the ride won't be as smooth

Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 PM

yeah, and dont forget, your stock shocks and struts have been abused by several thousand miles of use.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 PM

After I lowered my spyder, new kyb shocks, and eibach lowering springs.. It rides like a tank.. I feel every bump.. I love the look however. But if your looking for ride quality dont just do the springs..

Old 03-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well if you get the AGX then you can adjust it.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 PM

I guess it'll be a little bit before i buy everything need to lower it.

Quick Reply: I need to lower my car!!