3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

I need some suggestions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Default I need some suggestions!!!

So, I have an '04 Eclipse GS w/ Tiptronic Trans. It is WAY underpowered. I want to maximize power without losing much gas mileage at all. 1, maybe 2 mpg at most. Is it possible to make it as fast as the GT with just bolt-ons? What parts do I need? How much will it all cost? Can anyone give me a little insight at all? Any info will be useful.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Default RE: I need some suggestions!!!

your not gonna make it as fast as the gt without losing gas milage. it just wont happen. anything you do to significantly increase performance is gonna significantly drop your milage

Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM

OK, but what can I do to increase power? You missed the point of the thread.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 PM

im pretty sure the point of the thread was trying to make your car beat a GT without sacrificing more then 1 or 2 mpg, which i answered to you was impossible.

anyway, your not gonna get a good increase in power without spending a couple grand. turbo/supercharging is the only way your gonna get any noticable power out of it. however you are gonna sacrifice probably more gas milage then you would want to.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: estraw

im pretty sure the point of the thread was trying to make your car beat a GT without sacrificing more then 1 or 2 mpg, which i answered to you was impossible.

anyway, your not gonna get a good increase in power without spending a couple grand. turbo/supercharging is the only way your gonna get any noticable power out of it. however you are gonna sacrifice probably more gas milage then you would want to.
That was a good answer. I like that. Now I could use a little more help. Would a better flowing exhaust (same size piping as stock) andnew 4-2-1 Stainless Steel Headers hurt gas mileage?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM

no, but your not gonna notice a difference in performance either. all your gonna get is a ****ty sounding raspy exhaust note

Old 09-25-2008, 11:26 PM

Well...I really want to maximize it's capabilities. The sound is fine, and as of next week, my Chevelle will be my drag racing car. I want the Eclipse to:

A. Maximize horsepower
B. Maintain Gas mileage
C. Increase Handling

This is to be a daily driver and do OK on a time attack track. Future mods include coilovers, body kit, Fiberglass Fenders, CF hood, and CF hatch. With the Aerodynamics up, and the weight down, I should get up to two extra mpg if I'm lucky. So I can afford to sacrifice a little more fuel for more power. It will work in theory.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 PM

ok good luck

Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Do you not think I can do it?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: aSMARTmechanic

Do you not think I can do it?
what? no i said good luck. last time i checked that was supposed to be a good thing.

Quick Reply: I need some suggestions!!!