3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

just got an 01 spyder gt

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Default just got an 01 spyder gt

hey i need to know which is better for the spyder gt.. magnaflow? or oem exhaust.. i want to do it right so it will have cams and headers.. anyone have any ideas? and i also would like to know if i should turbo or supercharge it.. ive heard nothing but good things about supercharging it but i would like more opinions thanks =]

Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM

If it's a GT it's already turbocharged. The GS models aren't. No suggestions on the exhaust question.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:08 PM

its not turbo charged.. the 4 cyl is but i have the v6 model

Old 05-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Well then I learned something today. I didn't know that. But then that is what is nice about a good group like this where you get good advice and increased knowledge.

You're probably hearing right then about going with supercharging instead of turbocharging. You won't have the lag. I owned both a Ford Probe GT Turbo and a supercharged Thunderbird in my past. The turbo always had that half second of lag time kicking in. I'm no expert but I believe turbo involves the output side where as super is on the intake side. Enjoy your new ride. Post up a pic

Old 05-17-2009, 04:21 PM

supercharging is the most straight forward way to go f/i on these cars, but its going to cost alot of money for a stage 1 supercharger, stage 2 and 3 put down some big power. turboing the car is going to cost around the same amount of money but you will be able to put more power down for cheaper usually but no one makes a turbo kit for these cars so you will have to build your own. so it depends on what you want really as to which one to get but the correctly tuned turbo cars are real nice

Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 PM

and none of the 3g eclipses are turbocharged by the way

Old 05-17-2009, 04:37 PM

and you are going to need an aftermarket exhaust if you do go f/i but i wouldnt recommend magnaflow. the best sounding is probably the greddy evo2 but the loudest is the invidia, look them up on youtube to see what you like better but purely for sound the evo 2 is probably the best

Old 05-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Killswitch is right Not one 3g came from factory Turboed.
turboing is a hell of alot easier-2cents
FYI-the v6 model cannot take much forced induction rumors were likr 4-8psi which is nothing.
So if you do it take it machine shop let them do what they have to for clearance etc...also make sure you do not buy the parts prior to machining.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:39 PM

yes the v6 has forged rods but the pistons are easily burnt up, most people run around 6 psi but ive seen one running 10 psi on stock internals but thats a very big risk and has to be tuned perfectly. so unless youre planning on new pistons then stick with low psi

Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM

thanks guys =] i knew the supercharger costed more and that the turbo would be easier to install but i just wanted a few opinions before i made my decisions. and yeah i checked out the invidia exhaust system and i was considering it but it may be too loud for the state im in.. thats why i was also looking at magnaflow because its legal here.. all things considered, i might just have to stomach a few tickets lol

Quick Reply: just got an 01 spyder gt