3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Location of spark plugs - 2000 Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Default Location of spark plugs - 2000 Eclipse

I've looked on the internet and I can't seem to find something that will tell me where the spark plugs are. I know where three of them are, but I don't know where the other three are. Would replacing the spark plug stop a knocking problem b/c when I drive for a long period of time, my car knocks after I get to my location. I know it's not the oil since I've checked that and I'm not sure what else to check. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I wonder why it keeps putting quotation marks instead of apostrophes on my contractions...

Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Location of spark plugs - 2000 Eclipse

What engine do u have? Do you have a check engine light on? Can you get a recording of the noise and what area is it coming from?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:16 PM

My check engine light has been on for awhile, but I ran a test on it with one of those handheld diagnostic machines and it told me it was the oxygen sensors (which IDK where those are either). I'm not sure where the knocking is coming from, but I'll see about getting the recording of it. I have a V6 3.0L engine. I can see the first three spark plugs on top of the block, but I have no idea where the other three are >.> I'm suspecting that it might be the gas since I always to go the same gas station. All I know is that whoever had the car before me didn't take much care of it since I've had to fix a lot of problems such as a busted motor mount, the bumper (there was indication that it was fixed from the inside with zip ties and then sealed over with bonding agent on the outside), headlight wiring issues (the guy pulled out some of the wires trying to replace the bulbs), and the list goes on... I wanted to keep the car since it's my first car and it's the car I always wanted (other than an RX-8 and Vette).

Old 10-15-2008, 05:55 PM

the other 3 are on the back of the engine, you have to jack the engine up to get to the other 3 plugs.
the knocking is common in most eclipses and its only the lifters so the only bad thing about it is its kinda annoying but its not hurting anything

Old 10-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

The other three are on the back side of the engine under the intake manifold. And you dont need to jack the engine up,you'll need to pull the intake manifold off to get to them.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 PM

Killswitch, you don't have to jack up the motor to get to the rear plugs. All you have to do is remove the plenum. It's a common procedure and the gasket is metal so you don't have to replace it unless it is considerably worn out or was damaged in the process of. That won't be the case here.
Ticking after motor warm up sounds more like the EGR system to me. Lifters will tick when the motor is cold, then stop if it's a new thing. They will keep ticking if they are really worn, cold or hot.
Oxygen sensors are on both o2 housings (just after the two headers and before the downpipe). This is where things get vague. There could be two more, one on each collector or one after the collector and before the cat. There could be another one after the cat too. Whatever the case, those are good places to look and help you figure out where yours may be.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

The other three are on the back side of the engine under the intake manifold. And you dont need to jack the engine up,you'll need to pull the intake manifold off to get to them.
Damn you, you beat me to it. lol
Good job.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 PM

Oh as for the knock or ticking. Get a manual for your car if you plan on keeping it because it will help you in the long run. Ok, I've seen a few of these issues and had one of my own with the 6g7x motor, yours being the 6g72 mine being the 6g73. My canister was clogged while others had the valve clog, all of which caused the ticking. Carbon buildup is the culprit in this case. The valve can be cleaned with just about any garage solvent. The canister will have to be replaced since there is charcoal in there.
You could also have a vacuum leak. There is a vacuum line that comes from the intake to the canister.
Have you replaced all vacuum lines with new ones yet? It's a fairly inexpensive thing to do and good preventive maintenance to add onto the other common processes.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:03 PM

I'm lost after reading where the other three are located... Read my sig. I do better with pics of described things. I don't know much about cars other than how to change and checking the oil, rewiring work (had to learn it due to my profession), and the changing and checking other simple stuff. I do know where my intake manifold is since it came off one time and made it to where my car died. At first, I didn't know what it was that caused, but after I opened my hood, I saw that it came off. Also, when should I change my wires and how would I go about doing that?