3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Need information on buying eclipse.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Default Need information on buying eclipse.

My younger brother wants to buy a eclipse between 2001 and 2003. He wants to buy spyder. I am asking which one would you all recommend? he was buying today 2001 eclipse spyder, four cylender 50,000 miles for 13,000 USD. I told him not to buy. I think it was little too high. So please waiting for any of your's comments.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Default RE: Need information on buying eclipse.

I bought my 02 spyder GTV6 with only 30K for $15,000 a GS spyder with more miles should go for $11-12k I would personally buy a GT the conv. is heavy and the $cyl is very slow in the coupe. The GT is still only quick not very fast plus you get the cd changer and leather

Old 10-28-2005, 11:02 AM

you did a good thing telling him not to buy it. thats way too high. that car should be going for around 10k.

so i guess the question is...should he buy a 4cyl of v6? that would depend on what he wants with the car. if hes not going to mod the car that much....go with the v6. if he wants to turbo the car and make power, the 4cyl engine is better for that than the v6.

oh, and i got my 03 GT w/10k miles for $15k two years ago.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:46 PM

ya you got a good deal. Mine was a spyder with the Premium package fully loaded up I got it slightly less than book value. As far as the 4G64 being easier for speed im not so sure that is the case any longer. It is easier to slap on a turbo and go also cheaper(I have been there already) but the 6G72 is now comeing out of the wood work and making huge #s both Russ( Tearstone) and Mike(Rulez) are planniing on the 500WHP platoue very soon, im not sure the 4G64 guys ever got there I know 1BadRS was in the process and gave up after alot of time and money years ago.

Either way I have had both a 4 and 6Cyl eclipse and if I were to get another it would have to be the V6. It is MUCH better more factory options the power behind it for a daily driver it great. and keep in mind the 4G64 spyder will be like a mid 17sec car because it weights alot more than the Coupe which is already slow.

Now for an 01 Spyder with 50K yes im sure there are alot of GT's going for a good amount less than that for sure. that is just a rip for a GS

Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

ya you got a good deal. Mine was a spyder with the Premium package fully loaded up I got it slightly less than book value. As far as the 4G64 being easier for speed im not so sure that is the case any longer. It is easier to slap on a turbo and go also cheaper(I have been there already) but the 6G72 is now comeing out of the wood work and making huge #s both Russ( Tearstone) and Mike(Rulez) are planniing on the 500WHP platoue very soon, im not sure the 4G64 guys ever got there I know 1BadRS was in the process and gave up after alot of time and money years ago.

Either way I have had both a 4 and 6Cyl eclipse and if I were to get another it would have to be the V6. It is MUCH better more factory options the power behind it for a daily driver it great. and keep in mind the 4G64 spyder will be like a mid 17sec car because it weights alot more than the Coupe which is already slow.

Now for an 01 Spyder with 50K yes im sure there are alot of GT's going for a good amount less than that for sure. that is just a rip for a GS

yeah, all of the v6's will have built engines. with the v6, you have to replace the pistons before going over 10psi(safely). for the 4cyl, you will stop making power WAY before the engines capabilities. with a good setup on the 4cyl, you can push around 300-310whp on just 14psi.(almost a full 200whp over stop). you won't be able to push more than 330-340whp on the stock v6. NAPALM, YOURMINE, and WEASELFURY are looking to have 500-600whp 4cyl. of course, built engines and all the bells and whistles.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:10 PM

Ahhh yes I have heard of NAPALM. either way yes the V6 pistons are weak but the stock rods can get you some power before they become any issue. also if you get a 2003+ spyder GT it has the GTS motor which is only good for 6PSI and that isnt even running where I would trust it.. The GTS is not the way to go if you want any type of FI save money and buy an 02 spyder in that case.

I just read that RULEZ ran a 13.47 on his old setup at 295WHP and he has the nations fastest 5spd GT Turbo .. I know RYU is getting up there and expects to beat that with his sporty\ cali spec now that takes some decent power.

It is crazy the difference between the cali and fed spec cars. mike and russ have nearly identicle setups other than mike has a 5spd and russ has a sporty, and mike dynos 45WHP higher and runs a nearly a second faster time. Those 2 guys have the entire 3G worlds eyes on them now. im sure once mike gets his motor taken care off his car will be setting up some records

Old 11-02-2005, 04:52 AM

Thanks for your ideas. He baught 03 eclipse GT spyder, 60000 miles on it. he just wants to make it show car. I hope it works out for him.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

Ahhh yes I have heard of NAPALM. either way yes the V6 pistons are weak but the stock rods can get you some power before they become any issue. also if you get a 2003+ spyder GT it has the GTS motor which is only good for 6PSI and that isnt even running where I would trust it.. The GTS is not the way to go if you want any type of FI save money and buy an 02 spyder in that case.

I just read that RULEZ ran a 13.47 on his old setup at 295WHP and he has the nations fastest 5spd GT Turbo .. I know RYU is getting up there and expects to beat that with his sporty\ cali spec now that takes some decent power.

It is crazy the difference between the cali and fed spec cars. mike and russ have nearly identicle setups other than mike has a 5spd and russ has a sporty, and mike dynos 45WHP higher and runs a nearly a second faster time. Those 2 guys have the entire 3G worlds eyes on them now. im sure once mike gets his motor taken care off his car will be setting up some records
Mike has the record b/c none of the other V6 turbos have gotten dynoed yet or run at the track. theCrow1414 has a GTS with one of Russ' built engines. hes had it for a month or so now but is still in the break in period. There are like 4 other guys in Florida with the built engines. We should start seeing some great times in the next couple of months.

The big difference between Mike and Russ' whp is the tranny.

The time difference....umm....Russ isn't exactly a small guy.

If only I could win the lottery.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:11 PM

The big difference between Mike and Russ' whp is the tranny.

The time difference....umm....Russ isn't exactly a small guy.

If only I could win the lottery.
[/quote]
HAhaha no russ is for sure a big boy lol. I think I will finally get a chance to meet all the FL guy they are haveing an All fl meet and im bringing the EVO to hang out on 12/3 in clearwater fl.

Ya im sure there will be some 12s broken with the v6 guys soon prob. even 11s if they want it.

Back on buying an 03 Spyder. if there are any plans to turbo or SDS that motor buy pistons before had because all spyders from 2003+ had the GTS motor and the pistons are weak.. even more weak than the regular GT motor which is pretty bad. The GTS motor is only good for about 5-6 PSI without new pistons.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57Back on buying an 03 Spyder. if there are any plans to turbo or SDS that motor buy pistons before had because all GT spyders from 2003+ had the GTS motor and the pistons are weak.. even more weak than the regular GT motor which is pretty bad. The GTS motor is only good for about 5-6 PSI without new pistons.
fixed it for you.

Quick Reply: Need information on buying eclipse.