3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

New Amplifier Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Default New Amplifier Help

Hello all,

I have an 02 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder that has about 97k miles on it stock. Recently I have tested and found out that the stock amp in my Mitsubishi is dead. I would like to replace just the amp as all speakers and stereo deck is fine. Now I have searched online on ebay and most users are selling the stock amp for about $200. I don't think this is worth it just to replace the stock amp. Can I buy aftermarket amp and use those? I have looked at a few aftermarket and the wirings seems to be different. My stock amp uses 18-pin while aftermarket amps uses RCAs. Can someone explain to me how do I replace aftermarket amp with my stock system please? Thank you.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 AM

it gets to be a pain. i did it on my 2g eclipse spyder. it is possible to get an aftermarket amp. the best choice is a low rise pioneer amp and to just cut the carpet under the passanger seat and keep it there because i believe thats where it is located? correct me if im wrong..however all you need to do (BEFORE DOING ANYTHING MAKE SURE KEY IS OUT OF IGNITION AND POSITIVE TERMINAL ON BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED you only connect the positive when all wiring is complete) is cut the end of the plugs and run a new power wire with an inline fuse from the battery to the new amplifier. then you need to run a new ground wire with the same guage wire if not thicker then the battery power wire.(Bigger is better when you are talking about wiring a car stereo or any other type of electrical TRUST ME) and the rest i will have to take a look at when it is nice out and i can tell you exactly what wires go to what. however it is much easier to run your own speaker wiring to each speaker so you know the wires are thick and new. i know that wou will be running your own RCA's from the new head unit. if you are planning to run a new amp to a stock head unit i suggest you rethink that. in the long run you will be much more pleased with even a 100 dollar walmart head unit and it will make your life filled with less problems. the rca's will run from the back of the head unit to the amp. you will also have to splice into the remote wire which is a light baby blue wire always and run i wire from the head unit to where you see the 3 letters REM (remote) on the amplifier. so now you have a power wire with inline fuse running from the battery to the amplifier where it says B+. Then you have a ground wire that is running from a stock hole usually where the seat bracket is (make sure there is now paint in a 1 inch diameter of where the ground wire is being grounded to. paint gives out a positive charge so you will either get no signal or you will ark the wires and screw yourself hardcore style) going to the amp where it usually says the letters GRND for ground if it does not have those letters it may say G- or just -. And then you have your rca's running from the back of your headunit in the output section to the input section of your amplifier. And finally the remote wire being tapped into the headunit wiring to the spot on the amplifier that says REM. as for now this is all i can tell you until i have time to take out my passanger side seat and get some color coded wires for a but this should be good for now. if this is nit enough just google the topic and trouble shoot it from there of just bring it to like a best buy or some custom stereo installation spot and they can hook you up!!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Default AMplifier help

I have an amplifier I pulled out of my 2001 Eclipse Spyder I am willing to sell. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Hey do you have the two wires(sets of wires) that run from the amplifier to the radio? I have a 2003 Eclipse GTS and need to replace these wires.