3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

New to here

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Default New to here

I'm new, and this is my first post. I guess I might as well tell you that I don't drive a mitsu. I drive a forking chevy blazer. I like my car alright I guess. It was free (for me) so I should LOVE it. I don't though. Some days, I park my car and hope someone steals it so I'd have a good excuse to get a new car. I know thats stupid, but I'm 17 and my mum will NOT let me sell it. My reason for joining this forum is want of an eclipse. I wasn't sure where to post this. My intended purpose wasn't an introduction, so I'll get to the point. I have about a year before I can sell my current car and buy a new one. So, I've decided to just save my money and research as best I can the car I want. People tell me I shouldn't buy an eclipse because everyone has an eclipse. But, I like them a lot. I think they are really nice looking cars. So, I'll go ahead and ask. What generation do you guys recommend? Any years I should avoid? I probably won't be able to afford a 4g so I'm thinking 3g or lower. I'd like a gt, because they have more power stock. But the more I read the more I see peoplse saying that the 4 bangers are a lot easier to mod. I'd still like to stick with the gt but if enough people swear off them then I'll probably try to find a 4 with a turbo. I'm buying a stick, no matter what. I refuse to buy another auto. I've driven stick before and I like it so much more than the auto. I'd like to avoid any second gens with a 7 bolt crank, because obviously I don't want to buy a new (to me) car and then have crankwalk issues. Sorry for such a long post, and I'm sure that I'll have more questions later but at the moment I can't think of any.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Default RE: New to here

Well... what do u intend to do with said Eclipse? That will narrow it doen.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure if modify the hell out of it is the answer you're looking for, so I guess details would be nice. I'd like to take it to the track a bit, but I tend to get into street races kinda at random...so that too but not often since I'm trying to back off that...legality and all. I also plan on it being a daily so I know that laying down 500 hp isn't going to be practical. That's my reasoning on the GT, more hp stock and all. I'm not really sure what else I plan on doing with it, other than putting my sound system out of my blazer into it, but that won't depend on the engine.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:21 AM

Well, if you want to go the 4cyl route, theres an entire thread somewhere (search) on here about the 4g64/4g63t 'conversion'... on the other hand, if you want the 6cyl Id suggest www.tearstone.com for some forced induction help. Either way, those cars (3gs anyway) tend to be on the lower end of the power spectrum. If high torque/hp is what you want Id sooner suggest going with a nice 2g GSX...

Old 09-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Dusty he said he doesnt want a 7 bolt 2g. But to me it sounds like youd be more suited for a 3g GT since youll have decent power right away and they are pretty decent cars. Unless you plan on turbocharging the 4 cyl. 3g and spending about 4k to do it, then dont get the 4 cyl. But if you want to turbo a 3g then by all means go for it. I guess basically this is what im saying

1. If you want power right way and dont plan on turning an NA car to turbo then go GT
2. If you DO plan on turbocharging a 3g and want to spend that money (or have it to spend) then definetly go with the GS.

It all boils down to what you want to run at the track. For 14's the GT is perfect NA. Anything more you need FI on either car. Oh and BTW DO NOT get the GTS .

Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Banned

You could do that.. or if you want a more hands on car... get a first generation GSX shell and dropa race motor and tranny in there... super fun : )

I see someone did their homework. All n00bs should aspire to this.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 PM

I was thinking with the plethora of 6bolt conversion options (even some that are pre-converted), that he may be open to that.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Definentaly the 2G GSX or maybe a GST i would have gotten a GSX but none where for sale within my state if you cant find that get 3G, GT or GTS

Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

I agree...well done

Definentaly the 2G GSX or maybe a GST i would have gotten a GSX but none where for sale within my state if you cant find that get 3G, GT or GTS
no dont get that [:-]

Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

You could do that.. or if you want a more hands on car... get a first generation GSX shell and dropa race motor and tranny in there... super fun : )

lol, my original plans for my blazer were to drop in a 350 in place of the 262 it comes with stock. I never got that far, as it costs as much to buy a new engine, transmission, and the various things it needs for a swap as it does to go out and buy a new car sometimes.

Thanks though, I really am trying to learn as much about these cars as possible before buying one.

Oh and BTW DO NOT get the GTS
no dont get that
Now I'm glad I joined and asked these questions. The GTS was one of the types I was looking to buy. What is it about them that makes you say not buy them though? Just a waste of money? Or is it a reliability issue with the mvim?

I was thinking with the plethora of 6bolt conversion options (even some that are pre-converted), that he may be open to that.

I would be open to that. How hard would the conversion be? Also, how do you tell if it has been pre-converted? If someone said it was pre-converted, I really don't think I could prove them wrong.

Quick Reply: New to here