3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

No. 2 cylinder misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Default No. 2 cylinder misfire.

I have received this code about five times over the course of almost a year. When I first noticed the check engine light on with this problem, I had my 03 GTSserviced and had a new distributor, rotor, wires, and plugs installed. This did not fix the problem. When I told the dealer that it didn't fix the misfire, he acted like I was making it up and to bring it back for futher examination. Iwas not impressed at all with these people so I am reluctant to return back. It seems to happen at a higher rpm shift point, maybe from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. I can sometimesmake the misfire occur if I mash the throttle. I do run premium fuel do not drive the vehicle hard. Has anyone dealt with this problem before or offer any advice?

Thanks,
Alex.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned
Default RE: No. 2 cylinder misfire.

Thats odd, the only thing i would have suggested would be to change plugs and wires but you already did that. Other than that i really wouldnt know what to tell you...

Dealership is clueless?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 PM

I believe there was a reflash to correct a certain misfire code with the 3G eclipse. Did the dealer do the initial work or did you take it to them after the initial work failed to fix your issue?

JJ

Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM

The dealer did the initial work. The attempted repair is still under warranty and the car has 500 miles left on the powertrain warranty, but the car runs great and I am not impressed with this dealer. I don't know if this is an issue or not, but the dealer could not get anOEM distributor androtorin a reasonable amount of time so they putin worldwide brand I believe. I do have oem wires andplugs.I am trying to diagnose theproblem myself then possibly take it to get looked at or repaired.

You say "reflash", is that a computer update or something?

Thanks,
Alex.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

Yeah pretty much just updates the software

Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Since you mentioned a computer update, I checked out some TSBs and there was a pcm reprogramming for a high speed misfire with codes p0300-p0306. This explains my problem since I have never felt the engine misfire when the SES light comes on.

thanks,
Alex.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Banned

I would recomend getting that done : )

Old 10-07-2007, 10:08 PM

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but the dealer could not get anOEM distributor androtorin a reasonable amount of time so they putin worldwide brand I believe.
All warranty work must be done with OEM parts- i highly doubt they installed anything aftermarket. Since the TSB was release several years back, it's also a possibility that whomever was working on your vehicle is not aware of it or has forgotten all about it. Bring it back in to your dealer and see if your vehicle applies to the TSB.

JJ

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM

The dealerdidn't consider a new rotor, distributor, wires, and plugs to bereplaceable under the warranty for this circumstance. I don't know. Like I said I am not too happy with the dealer I went to.I don't thinkTSBs are covered under warranty, are they?I am not too worried about itnowsince there is a TSB about it. I have a code scanner that I use to delete the code when isshows up. If itincreasingly persists,I might look into the reprogramming unless one of yousuggestotherwise.Is a computer reprogramming expensive and something only the dealer can do?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Well it's been a couple of weeks since your post, hows it going.
I would get the reprograming done asap, while the cars is still under the warranty, and it should be free.
The dealer should have checked your VIN against the Mitsu database, this would have notified him of any outstanding TSB's or recalls for your specific vehicle (based on the VIN). That.s what they did for me, every time I noticed a new TSB. It turns out only one ever applied to my vehicle.
Yes, only a Mitsu dealer can reprogram the ECU.
TSB's come in different flavours. Low level, (placement of a safety label, or update to the service manual), Medium level, performance fix (such as misfires) and only if the customer complains, and High, safety issue and forced to do it by the government.
According to my friend (works on Nissans) they only upgrade the ECU's if the customer complains about a problem that there is a specific fix for in the upgrade.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: No. 2 cylinder misfire.