3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Odd noise from engine area

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Default Odd noise from engine area

hi, i just bough a 2005 eclipse GT, its a 3.0 V6 with a 5 speed manuel. i got this car a week ago and it runs and drives great, there isn't one thing bad with it, except that some morning when i start the car before school, if its around 25 degrees or colder out i hear this sound from the engine bay. if the car is idling then you hear it, but when you rev it up the sound dies out until it idles down again, and usually only lasts around 2-10 minuets, depending on how cold it is out, or until the car warms up. on days that its warmer around like 35 i dont hear the sound. it sounds almost like a clicking noise. at first i thought it was a cold knock, but its too fast for a knock, and more high pitch. i was wondering if anybody has heard of this happening before? please let me know. thanks.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 AM

Does the car have high miles? I have a 2000 GT with the same v6 and mine had a sticky lifter. Could have been confused for a knock but it was to light of a sound to be a rod. This also went away at high rpm's. I dumoed a can of seafoam into it and it stopped within 30 miles. Hope that helps ya

Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 AM

the car has about 111,000 miles on it. ill give that a try, with the sea foam. if it doesn't help it'll just help clean lines and injectors. the sound is only there for about the first few min that you start the car after it sits for linger than 3 hours. and the sound will fade away if you rev the rpms up. once the car has ran for about 5 min the sound dies away and doesn't come back until the motor cools down. i just got the car so im going to replace the timing belt and pully system, because i know that they should be replaced around that time, and i also heard that the sound could be the timing belt going out.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM

sounds like a lifter ticking, its very common in these cars but does no harm

Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 AM

ya, im about 97 percent sure it is a lifter, its too light to be a rod. what im thinking happened is that the gap on the lifter got too wide from just daily driving, and that with the gap getting bigger, that when its cold and started the noise is alot louder, but once the engine gets hotter, the metal is expanding and filling the gap so the noise goes away. i should be redoing the lifter gaps this weekend, so ill see if that was the case, if not ill see if they need cleaning.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:34 PM

i think its an actual problem with the lifters, it does no damage but just about every eclipse has the ticking. i know a few people who have replaced them and had that work, thats about the only permanent solution ive heard works

Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 PM

oh really? ya i have heard that quite a few eclipses have his problem, some days its really loud and others it isnt. so would it be an actual lifter issue or just sticky? its not like there is a permanant ticking no matter what, its just on the cold start, and latly it hasn't been there that much and if it is there it only last maybe a minuet or 2. but its extremely loud, then doesn't stop right away, but the noise goes down really fast to where it is gone over the course of a couple seconds. its really wierd and hard to explain, but nobody has any idea what it could be except for a lifter issue.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:02 PM

thats the exact same as mine, sometimes if you rev the engine slightly, not real high probably 2.5k rpms, a few time mine will stop. it wont cause any damage to the engine though, some people put thinner oil in their car and some have had alittle success maybe, the thinner oil could to potentially more damage in my opinion though.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 PM

yep, with mine if your rev the engine up to about 2-2.5k rpm the noise will go away. how many miles do you have on your motor? and thats good to know it wont harm the motor. what about switiching to a full synthetic oil, if its sticky the full syntetic oil is supposed to lubricate like 5 times better, so it may quiet the noise?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM

i have 110k miles on a 2000 gs. and synthetic may help it im not real sure since i have always used synthetic. itll probably be quieter once it warms up outside as well

Quick Reply: Odd noise from engine area