3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Default Problem

So, I'm not sure how to word this, but here goes.... This morning I got in my 2002 eclipse to go to work and I'm driving up my street and the next thing I know, the accelerator doesn't work! It was like what happens when you run out of gas....But I had a full tank. I was in first gear and I shifted into second but that didn't help and so I had to stop (not like I had a choice) and I turned the car off and then back on and the next thing, the car is fine. Does anyone have any idea as to what happened this morning to my car?

Old 11-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Problem

sounds like a fuel pump or computer error. did the lights on the dash flash? did the check light come on?

Old 11-08-2004, 06:39 PM

Nope, no lights flashing and no check engine light. It was just out of the blue. It never happened before but I am starting to get up there on my miles.....I've got about 55 thousand now. Do you think I should take it in? Or should I just wait and see if it happens more than this one instance?

Old 11-09-2004, 02:40 PM

at 60k you should replace the timing belt and waterpump anyway, so if its workin ok, just wait till you get those done.............

Old 11-09-2004, 05:23 PM

Yeah I guess that sounds like a plan then....It seemed to be fine last night and this morning. Thanks for the help

Old 11-10-2004, 01:07 PM

how are your injectors? maybe need cleaned? thats quite strange...but yeah, when you go into get your belt and pump replaced have them run diag. to make sure nothing else is wrong. AND if you are going to have a shop do it and not the stealership, look into new cam gears and maybe some light weight pulleys... if you have the money that is.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:28 PM

You know, I don't know what any of that stuff is but I guess it's good that I just got a promotion at work so I can pay of all of it. I used to go to this body shop that I've taken all my cars to ever since I could drive. I had them replace my brakes last yea and they warped my rotors in the process. I took it back to shop and they resurfaced them and told me that if it happens again they'll have to replace it. Well it happened again and there was no way I was paying them to fix something they screwed up in the first place. So I took it to the dealership and they replaced the rotors, but after market brakes didn't go well with the new rotors and a month later the dealership replaced the brakes....It cost me about 800 bucks to replace my brakes. So now I don't trust anyone but the dealership. It sucks because they're such a rip off.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:37 AM

I have to agree with kb, I hate paying stealership prices, but they are the only ones I will trust with my car. It may cost more, but I think it is better in the long run. Only thing I have had them do so far was replace my TPS and that was $200. Next is my timing belt and tension pulley, that will be about $600. Should I get the water pump replaced when I do that also?

Old 11-11-2004, 01:25 AM

Do the water pump with the timing belt, otherwise when the water pump does go, they'll charge the same labor to get down in there and replace it. My local dealership charged me $800 for the timing belt and water pump. Dam that is expensive [:@], but at least it's guaranteed.

Old 11-12-2004, 11:30 AM

Are you saying that it's going to cost me 800 bucks for a 60,000 mile checkup to replace the timing belt and the water pump? Not to mention my car is making this weird noise and it sounds like it is coming from the engine. Maybe I should get rid of it........It's only 2 years old and it's a lemon.