3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Default RE: Problem

It's not a lemon, it's a new car, LOL. People gotta make money one way or another, that's why I'll never get rid of my '85 Rex. Hard as hell to work on, but at least the part's are relatively inexpensive, and with 180k on the clock, it still run's like a champ. Eventually, I will rebuild the whole car from top to bottom, and slap in a T-II Turbo 20b (3 rotors are better than 2). It'll be a Viper killer for sure then, but eat up a ton of av-gas at 10,000+ rpm.

Old 11-12-2004, 03:38 PM

You know, I think it's just my luck. Every car I've had, I've had problems with. I think my eclipse though has a big red target on it that says "hit me". This car has been in 5 accidents since I got it. Maybe it's a sign.....Either take transportation or get rid of it. Not to mention, insurance in New Jersey is horrific.

Old 11-12-2004, 08:50 PM

not just your luck, i feel the same way sometimes, i always have problems with mine, then i fix em, its better for a week and find somethin else wrong, thats just how they are, if i dont fix it, it still works ok, but i feel bad for neglecting my baby........ just gotta choose which way to go sometimes...................

Old 11-13-2004, 02:49 PM

I guess Im lucky, I have a mechanic that specializes in DSMs. his business is called 3Dmotorsports. (Three Diamond, for mitsu) I'd trust him with my child! its great. but I don't think new brakes should have cost you that much. I know you went to the stealership, but come on.. brakes are what? $60 a peice IF THAT, you got raped

Old 11-15-2004, 11:12 AM

Well the brakes at the dealership were I think 120 bucks but I also had to replace my rotors and this is all after I had my brakes done somewhere else when they screwed it up. Yeah I guess I did raped but I also got ripped off when I bought the car too. You live and learn I suppose!

Old 11-15-2004, 01:45 PM

I guess I did raped but I also got ripped off when I bought the car too. You live and learn I suppose!
Do you have to be a mechanic to own a Mitsubishi ?

Do the enthusiasts on the Toyota and Honda forums always talk about their breakdowns and cost of repairs ?

DT

Old 11-15-2004, 01:51 PM

I love my Talon, but man(!) when I bought it I was only a saturday mechanic and now with the experience that the Talon brought I am now a master mech.

I had the same problem i.e.

"This morning I got in my 2002 eclipse to go to work and I'm driving up my street and the next thing I know, the accelerator doesn't work! It was like what happens when you run out of gas..."

Mine occurred 3 times in 6 months and then finally the engine would not start at all.
I thought my fuel pump was dropping out.

Replacing the Engine Control Module fixed it. $ 200.00 Used
or $1,200 from dealership.

DT

Old 11-15-2004, 02:10 PM

it is a must to be able to work on your own car... master mechanic, no, I haven't reached that yet and I really don't plan on it. just enough to fix the minor probs, and bolt on the hp. though I must admit, I haven't had many problems with my '97... maybe its cause i've had it for almost 2 years now and have only put about 10k on it

Old 11-15-2004, 02:49 PM

Here is a thought on that problem...

Fuel Filter gets clogged or has water and impurities in the fuel system (gas tank)..

Idle speed control valve getting bad (will cause faults)

Later
MajesticMan[sm=pimp.gif]

Old 11-15-2004, 04:28 PM

I am now a master mech.
I shoulda said 'I 'feel' like a master mech.'

The mechanix on these Mitsubishi's are really to exacting specifications. They do not leave too much room for error like the old American clunckers that I'm used to.

DT