3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Problem with Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Default Problem with Acceleration

I have a 2005 Eclipse GT. It has about 36,000 miles on it. I installed a cold air intake, and a magna flow exhaust. I did cut out the resonator on the exuast and installed a straight pipe. I also disconnect the vacuum line from the fuel regulator to get rid of the lag in acceleration. I drove the car like this for about a year.

Here is the problem I am having. When gas prices went up, I wanted to install the old air intake back onto the car to conserve gas. Before I did any mods I was getting 428miles per tank per tank of gas. After the mods I was only getting about 230-250miles per tank. Well I did not reinstall the old intake but left the cold air intake on. I did however reinstall the mesh, back onto the MAP sensor. I reconnected the vacuum line to the fuel regulator. I thought all would be well......but it isn't.

During acceleration when you hit the gas pedal (any gear) the engine revs up to 2k RPM's then the car goes back to the regular RPM's before the car adjusts itself and you begin to move forward. There is no instant acceleration it just started when I put this stuff back on.

I know take it back off....right? lol I would like to know what I need to do to fix this problem, or what this problem is called. I would greatly appreciate any info you have

Thanks!

Genosyne

Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Default RE: Problem with Acceleration

iono much abt cars bu... my 3g gts use to not get instant accel. i had 2 change my clutch.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Banned

Let me guess.... 5spd? You sir, roasted the clutch.

Can you explain to me what your driving style is? What I mean by that is:

How much gas you use when starting off
Do you keep your foot on the gas while shifting?
How do you downshift?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

My driving style is very spirited I guess....I dunno what other term to use......When I start the car I engage the clutch, and slowly press the gas pedal releasing the clutch at the same time......but usually in the 4-5k RPM range.......and I normally accelerate through the gears at that RPM range unless challenged by another driver.

No, I do not keep my foot on the gas when shifting. Inormally take my foot off the gas and engage the clutch then release the clutch immediately before hitting the gas again. I normally down shiftwhen cars in front of me slam on their brakes, but I don't use my brakes much. Matter of fact I have had the car for 2 yrs, thought my brakes were due for a change to find out they looked brand new......I let the motor slow me down.....I generally take both feet off of the pedals after down shifting. Instead of using the brakes, I will down shift even on the freeway, to slow down, (I.E. 5th to fourth, fourth to third, and so on, unless I don't have what I call positive acceleration meaning if the RPMs are below 2500k RPMs and I am in 5th I will downshift into 4th to regain positive acceleratiopn before shifting back into 5th. I do this with all of the gears when I need to).

When I come to a red light, I "feather"the clutch (but with no gas) to slow down, until I am almost right at the light then I fully engage the clutch and use the brakes. When I make turns, I downshift into second gear(hardly ever using the brakes) and then accelerate right away through the turn. I usually drive about 70mph....no matter where I am unless I am inside the city limits.

**side note** I sometimes take my car up into the mountains and fly up the mountain, and then back down the mountain(the turns are no more than 15mph turns, doing between 25-30mph using only the clutch and gas) constantly alternating between gas and clutch up, and then back down.( I havent done this though in about 6 months)**

I hope this helps, this is about as good as I can explain my driving style.....

Old 08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles are on your car?

Could be the clutch on its way out. A way to test to see if it slips is come to a complete stop, put it in 5th gear and try to engage the clutch. If it stalls right away your clutch is good, if it try's to stay running then you need a clutch.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

usually in the 4-5k RPM

That right there is the main problem!

The most important thing to remember when driving a stick is that when ever your foot is partially on the clutch, then the clutch is slipping, and slipping wears out the clutch. Normally, you are supposed to use little to zero gas when going from a dead stop. You shouldn't have to do anything above 1500rpm. Practice, practice, practice!

As far as engine braking goes, that is just fine, however your style of doing it is wrong, and is harmful to the clutch. Every time you push the clutch in on the highway, let the revs drop down, and then let the clutch up, you are slipping it, and slipping means burning.In order to combat this, you should learn a technique called rev matching. Basically if you are in 5th, and want to go to 3rd, you should look at what speed you are doing, and blip the throttle to get the RPMS to where they would normally be in 3rd gear. Then you release the clutch, and there is no jerk, and no stress on the clutch.

So:

3rd gear
Clutch in + downshift to 2nd
Blip the throttle about 1200 RPM higher than it was in 3rd
Lift the clutch

That is the basic idea. I encourage you to google 'Rev matching' and read up on it as much as you can.

I am not quite sure what you meant by the mountain story.... but I think you were saying that you had been pushing the clutch in a little, and using more gas? That is slipping the clutch, and burning it.

General rules:

1) If your foot is on the gas, your left foot shouldn't be anywhere NEAR the clutch.
2) When downshifting, you must match the revs to minimize clutch wear
3) You should be using little to no gas when going from a stop.

So, don't go out and replace the clutch right away, I suggest perfecting your driving before hand... or you will just end up in the same position.

Practice rev matching on the highway, and practice going from a standstill not going above 1500 rpm.

-Seb

PS: Who taught you how to drive?

EDIT: A little irony.... I am not even 18 (less than a month) and don't have a license. BUT, just because of my age, dont assume I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

Could be the clutch on its way out. A way to test to see if it slips is come to a complete stop, put it in 5th gear and try to engage the clutch. If it stalls right away your clutch is good, if it try's to stay running then you need a clutch.
If you read his post, that should become clear lol.

Don't even bother doing that test, it will only roast the clutch further.

EDIT: Read the first post, he has 36k on it.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

If you read his post, that should become clear lol.

Don't even bother doing that test, it will only roast the clutch further.

EDIT: Read the first post, he has 36k on it.
Oh I didnt see the miles and I was even looking for it lol.

And doing that test will not "roast" the clutch, it take abt 5 seconds to doit.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

It will make matters worse though....just wearing it down further.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

It will make matters worse though....just wearing it down further.
Its not gonna do anything major, its kinda like stalling a car at the light.

Quick Reply: Problem with Acceleration