3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Putting an eclipse on a diet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Default Putting an eclipse on a diet?

I know its not the fastest Mitsu out there, but I know a 2003 Eclipse GS, with a V2 intake and magnaflow cat-back, but I was curious.

What kind of weight reductions have other people done, I'm not talking about the drastic carbon fiber the whole interior and stuff, but are V6s and the 4 cylinders similar as far as taking things out.

I have a buddy that got bored and took off his dash panels, passenger seat, entired rear seat, and took out the spare all in about an hour and took out a total of 121 pounds, would it be that easy? and how much weight could i see be takin out of the car?

Any information would be nice thanks~!

Old 10-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Putting an eclipse on a diet?

There is ALOT of weight you could strip from the car depending on how much interior comfort you're willing to give up. Everything from the radio and dash pieces (Leaving essential ones for the air bag and whatnot), to removing the spare tire and seats, you could also yank the carpet and the insulation beneath it, door panels can for the most part be removed if I'm not mistaen, speakers removed. It all depends how far you're willing to go to eliminate weight to increaese the power to weight ratio. You could also look into replacing the drivers' seat with a lightweight racing seat and remove all seatbelts replacing the drivers seat one with a 5 point. The possibilites are endless depending how far you want to go.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:49 AM

remove your spare tire....it weights like 40lbs.

just my 2 cents.....for every 100lbs you drop, you gain .1 second in the 1/4 mile. now if you want to make your car look like **** by gutting the interior just to gain .1-.2 seconds, be my guest.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

It all depends really on what your intentions are seats weigh a good amount too. And there is a black goo under the carpet that I actually saw someone scrape out of another car and it was around 125-150 lbs.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Administrator

when i run my car, i remove the spare, and back seat bottom, and the passenger seat...but that likely just counters my sub box, that is HUGE and doesnt fit through the trunk opening...long story...

Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 PM

Ahhh, why would you want to sacrifice the interior looks of the car for the little bit of an advantage you would get... To me its not anywhere near worth it... If you cant beat the other guy with that stuff in, I doubt you have the car or the ability to beat him without all of it...

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

remove your spare tire....it weights like 40lbs.

just my 2 cents.....for every 100lbs you drop, you gain .1 second in the 1/4 mile. now if you want to make your car look like **** by gutting the interior just to gain .1-.2 seconds, be my guest.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:28 PM

I say forget about ripping your car apart that is for all the Hondas that wish they were fast or the real race cars. why ruin your car to gain nothing out of it. Waiste of time and effort if you ask me. If I go to the track id take the spare out and maybe...MAYBE the other seats but really what is that worth?

Old 10-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I dunno I always thought the Eclipses were a HEAVY car so I always think about ways of lightening mine.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:45 PM

Eclipses are very heavy and my EVO is heavy to but ripping apart your interior isnt worth the time and effort to save a few pounds really what will it do for you in a race? like said before 100LBS for .1 second umm not worth it to me. I could turn up my boost and gain more than that with a few PSI and only needing to pop the hood and turn a screw. to me its not worth the cars interior to make it weigh slightly less

Old 10-05-2005, 01:24 AM

Alright what you need to do is to rip out the inteior and get a 1/4 inch drill bit and make a hole in the sheat metal every 3 inches square. Thats good for like 200 pounds, then put everything back in, but make sure you ahve a bunch of left over screws, thats real weight reduction.

Seriously tho if you want to run faster the idea is to get weight in the front and light in the back, If your really into weight reduction get a plexiglass rear window.

Quick Reply: Putting an eclipse on a diet?