Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/3rd-generation-64/)
-   -   Removing Tape Adhesive Safely (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/3rd-generation-64/removing-tape-adhesive-safely-6261/)

pratzert 10-15-2005 02:56 PM

Removing Tape Adhesive Safely

I just bought a 2002 GT and the dealer had several papers actually taped to the inside of the Rear Window with scotch tape and masking tape. Ya... on top the the defroster heating grid.

What can I "SAFELY" use to remove the adhseive without harming the heating grid strips ?

Thanks, Tim

Sanguinius 10-15-2005 03:12 PM

RE: Removing Tape Adhesive Safely

Try either Nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol. Just be careful not to spill it LOL I'd say soak a cotton ball in it.

crunchie 10-15-2005 11:55 PM

I'd go with the alcohol or even soapy water. Just get a piece of cloth damp (not soaking) with it and rub it away with moderate force. It you have to push real hard, you need more alcohol or soapy water. You can get the rubbing alcohol from any drugstore or even grocery store.

I wouldn't use nail polish remover. It stinks and seem harsher than regular rubbing alcohol.

Sanguinius 10-16-2005 12:34 AM

Yeah but depending on the type of tape they used the acetone may be required to get it off the alchy might not be enough. But try the alchy and elbow grease idea first it'll be the less harsh way to do things.

pratzert 10-16-2005 12:42 AM

I'll try the soap first, then the rubbing alcohol, then the acetone/nail polish remover.

What type of adhesive do they use to stick that defroster grid on the window ?

Something that won't be affected by acetone ???

Tim

Sanguinius 10-16-2005 01:05 AM

It should be basically painted on if I'm not mistaken but I really don't know. I'm fairly certain the Acetone shouldn't affect it but I'd definately try the least method first I doubt soap n water'll work.

wicked_outlander 10-16-2005 09:25 AM

warm water w/ soap, then use alcohol after.

Lil red 10-16-2005 01:36 PM

What about something like goo gone? supposed to remove sticky film like things... Isnt too hard to fine walmart or meijer has it.

Sanguinius 10-16-2005 04:29 PM

You could try that too. I dunno what effect it'll have on the heating element itself but hell it's worth a try. Personally I think the dealership that was STUPID enough to use tape on the window should be responsible for getting it off.

Lil red 10-16-2005 04:30 PM

They should take off there stupid dealer stickers off the rear bumper while there at it...[:@]