3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Should I buy an Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Default Should I buy an Eclipse?

Hello all. Joined the forum in hopes of getting some information on the Eclipse. I presently own a 1998 Cadillac Eldorado which I'm afraid is on its' last leg. Looks like the head gasket is shot. The Northstar engine is famous for this problem and something you don't fix unless you want to spend about $3 or $4000. This car is beautiful but costs me on the average of $2500 in repairs (unexpected repairs not general upkeep like brakes etc). So now you know where I am and where I don't want to go again.
What is your honest opinion of the Eclipse coupe or convertible? I'm finding a few 2001 models in the area for about $5000-$6000. Just looking on the internet and have not seen them in real life. Before the Cadillac I owned a 1985 Mazda RX-7 with the rotary engine. Loved the car and wish I had kept it. Never cost me a dime in unexpected repairs. At any rate I've owned several "sports" cars over the years.
Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:26 PM

I have a 97 eclipse spyder convertible and i love it!! just had tha top replaced!! This car never does me wrong. I will say that im not a fan of the newer model eclipses like the 2000 on up the body style just doesnt do it for me

Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Banned

If you can't afford to shell out a $1000 at any given point for when something inevitably goes wrong, then no.

If you can, still no. Use that money and buy something that isn't a total unreliable hunk of ****.

: )

Old 06-08-2010, 12:25 AM

my 2000 eclipse was my first car, had it for more than 5 years without any problems, well mostly. i have over 110k miles, and the only problems ive had were a hole in the radiator hose, it was 40k miles overdue for it and i expected it to happen, and i had a plugwire split, again 40k miles overdue. other than that i have had no problems, well except a couple of flat tires but thats not the cars fault.

there are some common problems as with all cars. the sunroofs tend to stick, the dashes crack, and the clearcoat is bad on some and some look perfect. the cars are very reliable, good looking in my opinion, and they really are good cars.

the v6's are alittle harder to work on if you do your own work from what ive heard, i drive a 4cyl and its very easy to work on. i honestly believe you cant get a better car anywhere near the price of the 3g's

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM

i have owned 2 3g eclipses. my 4 cyl had 152000 miles on it when it died. it was mainly my fault though. i had some freeze plugs goin bad and i never got them replaced. i have a gts model now, and yes, they are a pain to work on if you dont have patience or the know how, i suggest bringing them to a shop for work. it took my 8hrs to put on my full exhaust system. i spent nearly 4hrs on the back header. to replace the spark plugs, you have to pull then intake plenum. with the gt, its not so bad, but the gts has all the excess vacuum and sensor lines for the mvim.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM

I own a 02 gs, and it hasn't messed up on me till recently and thats when the balance shaft belt broke. now i have a couple of lifters to replace. I dont know when the last time it was serviced by the last owner, since ive only had the car since the end of feb. As long as you keep up with getting it serviced when it needs it you shouldn't have any problems

Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 AM

I agree with Sebba. Got my '03 RS with 29k miles 6 years ago, and after an additional 70k miles I've had to replace the following: radiator hoses (upper 2x, lower 1x), radiator, auxuliary fan, A/C compressor, starter, engine mounts. Rear hatch struts have been needing replacement for about 2 years now, there's a leak at the driver side carpet and the dash is a complete mess with cracks all over. I'm not one to neglect regular maintenance items, and especially if something does not sound or feel right that affects the car's performance. With that, need I say more? :-)

Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Too bad there are so many problems. I have a 1990 GSX and it does require work. The trans was overhauled, new engine, and various other needs. I have enjoyed the vehicle very much having taken it across the US twice and traveled all over the country. The vision out the windows is poor and the front leather seats didn't hold up so well. I got it almost new so I have had it for these past 20 years.

Would I buy another one? I would prefer a more well constructed car but I have many good memories with the Eclipse and I love the turbo and all wheel drive.