3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

squeaky calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Default squeaky calipers?

anyone have/had this problem?

i drive an '04 spyder GT, and the driver side rear wheel would make a squeaking noise once per wheel revolution while braking, metal on metal.

i have taken it into the dealer at least 5 times, and they cannot properly diagnose the problem. they have swapped rotors between rear wheels (which moved the noise to the other wheel) and they have replaced both rear calipers. the sqeaking is still there though. anyone ever had this problem?

Old 12-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: squeaky calipers?

Well from reading your post and I quote "they have swapped rotors between rear wheels (which moved the noise to the other wheel)" it would appear to be a rotor problem... Have you thought about going to an aftermarket rotor and seeing if that helps at all? Sounds like there might be a bad batch of rotors out there and those are the ones that your dealer has in stock... Also when they changed out the rotors did they change both? Where did the noise come from then? Just 1 side or both?

Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 PM

they swapped the driver side rear rotor to passenger side, and pass. side to driver side, so no new rotors anywhere yet.

thats when the noise moved to the passenger side. i know crap about brake systems, but that sent up a red flag that the rotors need work, yet all they do is replace calipers.

the car only has 24k miles, so i am pretty adamant that i dont pay a darn thing for any of this work, which i havent so far. just seems the dealer is very loathe to do any work they dont have to. i am pretty close to just going straight to mitsubishi and griping.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I thought you'd said that they replaced the rotors... I'd suggest telling them that they NEED to replace the rotors. I mean think about it logically if they swapped the rotors and the noise moved WITH the swap then it's obviously a rotor problem.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:08 PM

the only problem is...if the dealership replaces the rotors, they are still replacing the bad rotors with the crappy stock rotors. Chances are, you are still going to have some problems with the crappy stock rotors(ie warping). my suggestion....just upgrade the rotors. you can get a very good set of rotors and pads for cheaper than you might think. i can give you a link to a group buy where you can get 4 powerslot rotors and hawk pads for $375 shipped which is an awesome deal.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I'm not saying that he'd have better than the stock BUT it would at least get rid of his squeak. And from the sounds of it he's not doing upgrades so stock should be fine and really the dealership is OBLIGATED to make sure that car is performing satisfactorily. Bessides nothing wrong with making the dealer do the work and spend the $ on parts TAKE MONEY FROM SAATAN DAMNIT!! (Satan = dealership LOL).

Old 12-09-2005, 04:40 AM

Your rear brakes may have a "drum" style ebrake within the disc brake rotor. It's a possibility that these drums are adjusted too tightly allowing them to contact the rotor even with the Ebrake off.

Joel, CA

Old 12-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Normally I'd agree with that Joel but the fact that when they switched the rotor's the sound moved as well kinda says to me that it's the rotor not the brake adjustment...