3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Supercharger/Turbo: suggestions anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007 | 02:53 PM
Default RE: Supercharger/Turbo: suggestions anybody?

I'm looking at this Turbo Kit (http://www.turbo-kits.com/eclipse_turbo_kits.html) and to my knowledge it doesn't come with another set of Headers. So why would I have to replace it?

Old 03-08-2007 | 03:04 PM

agreed, there's no reason in buying a header for a future turbo'd car just to experiece 3-6whp for that in between time just to sell it for less than half of what you bought it for.
Soundcolor - he didn't ask you how superchargers and turbochargers worked, he asked which one we thing he should do. but thank you for posting a book to waste 5 mins out of my life to read....once again.

Old 03-08-2007 | 04:10 PM

lol, no problem. Glad i could help.
If you are not going to waste money on the header (which is a bad idea in buying it, just to throw it away in a couple months) then let me suggest spending that money instead on some good high quality pullies, and a new clutch. You could alternatively also buy a lightweight flywheel instead of the pullies, either of these would give you good, useable, noticable power gains, and will only help when you do throw on that turbo!

Old 03-08-2007 | 04:19 PM

lightweight pulley's and/or flywheels don't give you higher power, they do nothing but cut rotational mass. thank you again. the turbo kit that you asked us about doesn't come with a header b/c no turbo kit comes with a header... its usually refered to as an exhaust manifold or a turbo manifold. looks like a decent kit to me, do note that it is an additional $750 for the upgraded injectors and safcII... that would be your tuning device for the car... there is no wideband so to safely tune ur car you will need to get one of those also. You can get a used wideband for about 125-150. but you will have to be careful with that kit on ur car... it says "possible gain of 120whp... you internals can only take 300hp so that is flirting with disaster.

Old 03-08-2007 | 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

In case you didnt understand what RCJ was telling you about the header....

A header connects from the exhuast ports on your cylinder head straight to the downpipe from your exhuast.
However when you go to put a turbo on, the turbo bolts on to a manifold that connects to those exhuast ports. And then the the turbo will ussually connect to an o2 housing, or directly to the downpipe. So you see you cant use a header when you get a turbo. You need a custom turbo manifold, which usually comes with the kit. Thats why its pointless to buy a header. Also from the way you are talking, i would suggest doing a search on how turbo systems work, and learn what you are getting into

Old 03-08-2007 | 05:25 PM

this is a great introduction to turbochargers... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm they have awesome articles on a lot of engine components.

Old 03-08-2007 | 07:40 PM

Would you suggest Ebay for buying a used wideband or something else? And do you have any suggestions on interior design? (I'm looking to theme the car red and white)

Old 03-08-2007 | 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

For a wideband i like the AEM UEGO. And you can buy that anywhere. Ebay is fine if you find it

Old 03-09-2007 | 10:22 AM

I have bought a whole crap load of things from ebay for my car and knock on wook i've never had a problem, even with my CF hood and body kit i didn't have to do any modifying what so ever. if you are lookin for a wideband on ebay make sure it's a name brand and make sure it doesn't say "AEM Eugo 'type' gauge" usually that 'type' is a red flag... i accidentally bought a TiAl 'type' bov a few months ago and when i got i was like what the hell is this? it's a knock off. For the interior i'd say go for it. i would not recomend any performance parts unless they are name brand or from a private seller.

Old 03-09-2007 | 08:06 PM

Yeah I just recently had a REALLY bad run in with bad body kits. NEVER order from bodykits.com, their kit was sooo twisted that the body shop told me they couldn't do anything to make it fit my car. So currently I'm tearing some new holes in some people because I want my money back due to their HIGHLY defected products!!!!