3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Tune Up parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Default Tune Up parts

Hi, im planing to do the first tune up to my '00 eclipse since i bought it, im going to put it the NGK iridium plugs and the 8.5 mm wires, but i dont know if its fine to put synthetic or conventional oil? and what type of filters are better, thanks.

Old 09-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Default RE: Tune Up parts

yes its ok to run synthetic now. its probably preferred. go with mobil 1 or K&N oil filter. stay away from the FRAM filters.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:34 AM

Ok, thanks

Old 09-26-2005, 12:20 PM

here is the only problem i see with the k&n filter they are made for high milage oil changes so the extra you pay for the k&n is not fully used because the the oil should be changes about ever 3000 miles or 3 months. Fram is a ok filter as long as it is changed after 3000 miles or 3 months of use most filters are this way. also you may want to get a o2 sensor,pcv valve,air filter,fuel filter, check all fluids and fill. if you want to do a full tuneup.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: get435

here is the only problem i see with the k&n filter they are made for high milage oil changes so the extra you pay for the k&n is not fully used because the the oil should be changes about ever 3000 miles or 3 months. Fram is a ok filter as long as it is changed after 3000 miles or 3 months of use most filters are this way. also you may want to get a o2 sensor,pcv valve,air filter,fuel filter, check all fluids and fill. if you want to do a full tuneup.
i dont think anybody recommends oil changes every 3000 miles anymore. i change mine about every 8-10k. most manufacturers suggest every 7500 miles. studies have shown that synthetic oils can be used for longer periods of time.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

i dont think anybody recommends oil changes every 3000 miles anymore. i change mine about every 8-10k. most manufacturers suggest every 7500 miles. studies have shown that synthetic oils can be used for longer periods of time.
Wow ive never heard of this. I still do mine at 3000 miles along with everyone else I know. I also think fram filters are fine. Nothing special, but change your oil when you are supposed to and they will do the job. Remember if you go synthetic, you need to stick with it. It protects great, but I wouldnt say you need it, so its your choice on that.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

recomened in the haynes manuel and by the dealer as well as every macanic and macinest i know.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:48 PM

you guys need to get out more. there was an extensive study done on the breaking down of motor oil. it showed that after 3000 miles, the oil didn't break down as much as it did for the first 3000 miles. its almost a waste of money to change your oil every 3000 miles(unless it takes you 5 months to drive 3000 miles). with me, i drive about 1000 miles a week for work. therefore, i usually change my oil every 2 months. ill try to find a link to the study that was done.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:23 PM

Do what u want trust those number exsperance from people speaks louder to me than some dude that puts a car on a dyno and goes one speed with out the constant stop, start, high heat, cold temp, and stop and go traffic of rush hour never the less climbing a grade that can cause the vicostiy ofthe oil to break down faster. like i said you can trust some study but i will trust the manuel as well as the macinest and mchanics that see what happens over time without changing oil. here is a prim ex. i went into the dealer and there was a pic of a dohc that was seased motor because of sludge buildup in the motor gusss what it was a brand new tiberon with 15,000 guy never changed the oil.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM

how about you read before you go spouting off at the mouth about a study that you know nothing about.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

here is a study on oil filters
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

figured i would throw this in...

Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it.

Quick Reply: Tune Up parts