3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

What does this mean???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Default What does this mean???

Alright guys, this is my first Eclipse and I'm starting to think I made a mistake. I've had trucks all my life and I finally opted to buy a sporty car, and have had nothing but problems since I got it, which was only two weeks ago I might add.

It's a 2000 Eclipse GT Manual 5sp, this week the service engine light came on, and I put it in to get fixed. The mechanic said they scanned the code, code 300 came up which is a randon cylinder misfire, and there is too much going on in there for them to touch it, and they said to bring it to a dealer.So what the he** does that mean? Do they just not feel like fixing it, or is this something common, can it be easily fixed? What exactly is wrong with it? If this helps any, since the light came on, the car has been running rough, and by that I mean sputtering on idle and missing and hesitating while driving. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Old 08-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned
Default RE: What does this mean???

Easily fixed. Change your spark plugs and wires. That should do it.

Well... in a way you did make a mistake. Sporty and 3rd generation eclipse dont go together : ) but its a reliable car... it will serve you well.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:29 AM

thank you kurt daniel, you sound like my proffessor back in college when i was studying for my master technician certification.

Now, mis fire has been detected by the dionostic system, so their could be a number of things wrong that cause it. As sebba already stated, the most obvious would be spark plug wires, and spark plugs. Once they get old, it's very common for them to mis-fire and cause sputter.

If that doesn't help then comeback and i'll help you get into more detail. Could be a timing, air to fuel, or sensor issue.

Let us know

Gus

If that doesn't solve it, check for pulse in the injectors, make sure they are recieving current, and if they are not clugged or rusted.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Alright ComposeEvo, at your request I am replying with an update........just got the car back and it's running as good as new, actually better than when I got it. The shop performed a full tune-up on it, and were actually able to get a littel bit more exact with the misfire code, said it was 302, which is cylinder #2 misfire. They said it needed the full tune-up and that should do it so I said yeah go for it!!! Glad to have it back, and thanks for all the replys from everyone.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:40 PM

Hey bud, what do they mean by "full" tune-up? Plugs and wires? or more?

My recently purchased 2000 GS has been idling kind of rough and low since I replaced the spark plugs last week. It was fine when I bought it and the problem started after the spark plug change. I used pre-gapped NGK G-Power plugs.