4th Generation This includes all Eclipses built in 2006 and 2007.

Help Changing Air Filter Element?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrbooby
Okay, thanks. I've seen a few different techniques on removing the crank pulley bolt. One was to use a torch and heat up the bolt before using an impact gun. Another way was a hand method and the person basically made his own pulley holder by substituting it with a chain wrench. He then used a long pipe on top of the breaker bar to break the bolt loose. I also think I'm gonna need a new torque wrench, since my 1/2 inch only goes up to 180(if I recall correctly).

Where did you get your timing belt/water pump? It seems like Gates has a monopoly over timing belts. And I think they sell them as kits with pulleys and such.
At the end of the day you just need to apply brute force and/or adequate torque in removing stubborn pulley bolts. A high powered impact driver or proper holding bar is the easiest way to go.

For my old Hondas I always bought Honda's oem belts and water pumps from the dealer's part dept. But I have a friend who worked at Gates in Denver and I know they make very high quality rubber belts that can even last beyond the expected life of the car so I wouldn't hesitate in using their products where applicable.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eclipse GT Boy
Why the official service manual suggests a simple unclip of the air filter housing to replace the filter is beyond me!
Excuse the thread jack, but where can i get a copy of the service manual? I went to the online tech info site and paid $20 for 24hrs. and it would lot let me download and save the factory maintenance manual! Ive done it with other manufactures and you can keep it. I printed what i could until i fell asleep and ran out of paper. lame. Can u purchase it on CD somewhere?

Last edited by mach1219; 05-12-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mach1219
Excuse the thread jack, but where can i get a copy of the service manual? I went to the online tech info site and paid $20 for 24hrs. and it would lot let me download and save the factory maintenance manual! Ive done it with other manufactures and you can keep it. I printed what i could until i fell asleep and ran out of paper. lame. Can u purchase it on CD somewhere?
There is another Eclipse forum, by the name of Club4G. They have the manual in a PDF format posted in the maintenance subsection and under the general discussion(4G). You can also download and print pages as you wish. Just google for "eclipse service manual club4g". That forum also seems to get a lot more traffic, just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM

THAnks. I found a 2006 copy, which is good except i could use the additional spyder information. I stumbled across club4g the other day, but it must have been down, because its working much better now. I knew there had to be somewhere with more traffic than this place

Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mach1219
Thanks. I found a 2006 copy, which is good except i could use the additional spyder information. I stumbled across club4g the other day, but it must have been down, because its working much better now. I knew there had to be somewhere with more traffic than this place
That's the one you need. There haven't been any major changes since 2006, so it will work for your car. The only difference between the coupe and the convertible is the roof anyway

Btw, what are your car's specs, and what are you interested in finding out? Maybe I could help you.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM

That's the one you need. There haven't been any major changes since 2006, so it will work for your car. The only difference between the coupe and the convertible is the roof anyway

Btw, what are your car's specs, and what are you interested in finding out? Maybe I could help you.
Its a 2007 GS Spyder. I Just picked it up. Im having issues with the roof and the hard tonnuae? cover. it isnt lined up right, and it broke a piece of plastic trim during the close sequence.........I think one of the cables that is supposed to open a trim piece didnt function properly.

I was able to print a lot of spyder specific stuff during my 24 hours at mitsubi****echinfo.com, so maybe that will be enough to help me out whenever i get the time to work on it.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 AM

I've done this twice on my sister's 2008 GT. You need to unscrew the 3-4" rubber intake pipe from the filter housing and pull it off a bit. I also removed the resonator because it gets in the way, it's a little plastic container on the side of the pipe. That's the only way I was able to open up the filter container so that I could pull the filter element out of there. Just be careful with the rubber intake pipe, so that you don't damage it - it's a tight fit. Good luck.

EDIT: It's your lucky day, hope this clears up any confusion.

I have 2009 GT, i am also facing the same problem, i will follow your suggestions and hope i will be able to rectify it.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by anders
I have 2009 GT, i am also facing the same problem, i will follow your suggestions and hope i will be able to rectify it.
It should be exactly the same, good luck.