Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

which amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 03:02 AM
Default which amp

I just got two alpine type E 10 inch subwoofers and a box. The max peak of each sub is 600 watts and the rms is 200 watts. I was wondering which amp I should get and if I should bridge it or not? Should I also get a power capicitator too?

Old 12-24-2004, 04:09 AM
Default RE: which amp

A cap is useless IMO unless your running large amounts of power and even then you will need a large cap like in the 20 and up farad range. Do the big 3 first. At 200 watts rms look for a amp that matches that and I don't think I would bridge it at that low of amount wattage.

Old 12-26-2004, 09:52 PM

Prophet is totally right... You are running low power and I hate to say it, but I think you should have went with type-s' or r's because they are not that more expensive. However, I am glad that you went with alpine. I have 2 type-s' with a 300 watt one channel alpine amp, and this set-up does the job fine. (until I feel like upgrading) The thing you want to remember, is to try to match up the rms power ratings as close as you can... I think that the best amp for you is the Alpine 300 watt one channel v-12. You SHOULD get a ONE channel amp. The power is cleaner and you don't have to worry about the frequencies fighting and cancelling each other out. It's your choice, but I think the Alpine 300w mono channel v-12 is best for you.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:01 AM

I hate to tell you but those guys are wrong about the capacitor. If you're adding anything else to your car that is not OEM you will need a cap. The purpose is to safe the zineor diode from burning out in your altenator. For what you're doing you should only need a 1/2 farad for that, I would recomend 1 farad if you want to upgrade anytime soon. But I do agree with them to find something that will run 200watts rms, yes you can bridge it if you'd like. If you have any other questoins feel free to ask,I've been wiring systems for years.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:51 PM

I stated an opinion so I can't be wrong. These are just my experiences and if are pushing that much power to have to worry about burning out the OEM alty then upgrade to a HO alty and the big three. IMO caps are worthless unless you use 20 farads or more. Always do your own research before taking anyone's advice.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Half way between both of them is that if you're drawing extra and you see a change in the electrical system when you have other things going at the same time then it's probably not a bad idea to get a cap. Then you're not putting as much straign on the alternator and electrical system. Might make a differance in the long run. They're not too expensive and I stil plan on getting one when I do my overhaul in the spring.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:39 AM

Well, I wasn't saying it to be a dick Prophet, I've just studied electrical theory extensively and have been nationally certified (MECP) to do this lkind of stuff and if you do the equations it will show that you need a cap. Like I said if it's a small load and your altinator can handle it then no problem, you can upgrade to a larger altenator but eventually if you put enough of a load on it you will need the capacitor. And 20 farads is quite a lot, generally you are rated about a 1000watts to every 1 farad. Not trying to put down your opinions, just throwing out some facts. Having worked at Best Buy for two years I have heard your same argument hundreds of times and had tons of people tell me I'm full of it and stupid. But every person that has told me that was back in to get a cap in less than 3 months. I also worked at Nissan for a bit and I say a kid go through 3 batteries and an altenator because he didn't want to put a cap on. They mainly help supress voltage spikes wich your battery and altenator do not like. Hopefully no hard feeling man, I'm deffinatly not trying to bash on anyones input. My apologies if you took it that way.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:16 AM

No didn't take it like that bro. This is the internet kind of hard to tell when someone is trying to be one or not anyway. Caps are like BOVs. Everyone has an opinion on them. Some like to vent into the atmospher and some say don't because it screws with your engine. Some say use a cap for every 1000 watts and some say don't bother just upgrade your alty and big three. Some say don't even bother with the big three just get another battery. I just like to tell people to gather as much info as they can and then make your own trusted decision on what or which way they would like to pursue. I respect your opinion as long as you can respect mine and I don't call anyone stupid. Thats not nice..

I personally am not certified in anything. I just go by what I know and what experiece I have. Been doing this before I was even able to drive. Honestly I had my first set of woofers and amps before I had my car. Now that I am 28 I have alot of knowledge but nothing certified and went to school for. I dabble in everything really.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:46 AM

Totally respect your input man and I don't know if ou meant literally call you stupid or were just saying the repect thing but I never saye stupid......But glad you didn't take it the wrong way.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:53 AM

lol When you made this comment....

I have heard your same argument hundreds of times and had tons of people tell me I'm full of it and stupid.
I don't call people stupid that is just not nice. I try to respect everyone and hope to get some repect back. Even though that doestn't always work.

Quick Reply: which amp