Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

which amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Default RE: which amp

LOL......No man I was saying that the people that would argue the fact with me would tell me that I am stupid.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: customizedrides

LOL......No man I was saying that the people that would argue the fact with me would tell me that I am stupid.
lol yeah I know... I am one of those people. What I am saying is that I wouldn't call you stupid just misguided. This is starting to become a joke that where both not getting. lmao

What do you have in your trunk?

Old 01-24-2005, 11:24 PM

LOL AWW I get it now.....So I'm misguided huh? :P Nicely Put

Old 02-02-2005, 01:57 AM

I'm a guy who actually just bought a 1990 Mirage to strickly use as a car audio competition vehicle.

My opinion is to not go with a capacitor of any sort. If you buy a good enough amp, then 1 farad cap isn't going to do much of anything for you. If you want to get a little more power, then try upgrading your battery. I personally prefer Optima Batteries (they made by Interstate). There Red Tops are great for giving you that little bit of extra juice.

As far as amps go, I would definately go with something around 300 watts. My personal favorite is the Crossfire 302. It's a two channel 300 watt RMS (not maximum power) amp. I run Crossfire amps in my daily driver and will run their amps in my Mirage once I start competing with it.

The thing I like the most about Crossfire amps is the fact that they are underrated. They're rated at 12.5 volts where most other amps are rated as high as 16 volts. Well, your electrical system in your car will only run at about 14.5 volts maximum. Therefore, with a 302, although it's rated at 300 RMS, you could very well get up to 350 watts regularly.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Well for what he would be using for a set up a 1 farad cap would be sufficient. And they are not ment to give the amp morepower they are ment to be a direct power supply so that the voltage spikes draw from there instead of your battery. Up the battery all you want, the more juice you pull, the harder the alternator works and the faster both of them die. A cap has nothing to do with how good your amp is or how well it will sound. It's all about protecting the OEM equipment and allowing the amp to get the full power needed to perform at top levle.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:11 AM

i, personally, am all for capacitors... i dont particularly like my lighs dimming down at night when my system hits and thats what capacitors are supposed and DO do.. they really do help out ur electronics alot and im running an EFX 1 fared right now with my 2 Kenwood 800 Watt amps and im planning on getting another EFX 1 fared capacitor because my lights still slightly dim. I dunno.. i never realized how people can disagree on something that is so obvious... Capacitors are definatley worth your money...

Old 02-03-2005, 06:09 AM

Well guys, I'm not going to disagree with you. If there's one thing I've learned about car audio these past of couple of years it's that opinions are like a**holes: everyone has one and they all stink.

I will say in my defense that my lights don't dim one bit either. And you're right it's probably not all because of the battery although that does help some. The two other main reasons why my lights don't dim is 1) because I run amps can perform a lower voltages and don't need 14+ volts to not clip and 2) I upgraded my 90 amp alt to a 200 amp Ohio Generator.

I will agree that caps help, but I personally don't want to go that route for a number of reasons. First and foremost, if I'm going to get one, I want one that is more than just one farad. Problem is, the sanctioned organizations I compete in, I can't have over 1 farad in my division without breaking the rules.

Even if I did get a Batcap or something like that, I'd be screwed if I left town for a week and didn't touch my car. Those bigger farad caps are known to drain your battery if left sitting for awhile.

Just my two cents though.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:48 PM

Have you ran a Batcap before? I was looking into those a couple months back and they seem pretty intresting but nothing that I took to serious. I would like to know from someone who has used it what they thought about it and the pro's and con's. lol I am not even sure if I really need something like that.