Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

HELP Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Default HELP Sound Quality

Hey all. I own a 95 talon esi. Im having speaker issues. Ive got the oem speakers in the dash, replaced the front door speakers with sonys, have sony 6X9's in the rear and infinity 12 sub with power acoustik amp in the trunk. Most of my sound is coming from the rear. I can hardly hear my front speakers, and when i fade it to the front i have no midrange sound, only highs. Can anyone suggest better speakers? or how i can fix this issue so i got great sound coming from infront of me instead of the rear? I though about buying tweeters and putting them up front, but that would only put out highs.
Shoud i be running another amplifier to my front speakers?

My current amp setup is pushing 300RMS
Bass is turned all the way down
Gain is only turned up 1/4 the way

Sony headunit is set to
Highs +10
Low is on 0
No midrange adjustments on the unit

Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Default RE: HELP Sound Quality

you need to replace the ones in the dash, cheap sony explodes or what have you will be better than that. mostlikely, they might be blown.

also when you look for speakers, make sure they are 3way or 2way...i think thats what they are labled. that will give you either hi, mids, and lows...or so on.

also you could always get some tweaters, that should help if you have trebble issues.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM

a decent pair of fronts and a small amp will make a world of difference.

You could probably replace your Power Acoustik amp (2 channel I'm guessing) with an affordable 4 channel. 2 channels would be used (bridged) to run the sub, and the other two would power the front speakers. The 6x9's will work fine being powered by the head unit.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Ok.. well if you can find a speaker for the front dash i would be more than happy to buy it. They dont make one that fits, There not blown, replaced these speakers from another talon.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 AM

dont tell me that you cant fit speakers in the front. mod it.....thats what people do around here.

look at speakers that are simmlar size, and make them fit. if you have to cut out some of the dash so be it, there is plenty of ways to make it hold also. if you give me a picture and some sizes, ill make a list of matierals and a way to make it work.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 AM

Im not cutting my 2g dash up. That would be just stupid. Beside's the dash speakers are all the way next to the front windshield. Couldnt get in there to cut if you wanted to. Its hard enough to get the speakers in and out. If i wanted to cut my dash up i would have to take the whole dash out. Thats not happening. I will either get a set of tweeters for the front or run a high range amp to them

Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 AM

meh. sorry i guess?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 PM

3.5's are almost useless they're basically big tweeters. My'88 Turbo Tbirdhad those - I pulled them and mounted my component tweeters there with woofers in the doors. Anyway...

crutchfield says there are 6-3/4" openings in the doors of the ESI, and they include an adapter to fit 6.5's to your doors w/little mod. Something worth considering.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM

I have sony 6 1/2's in the doors but i think they are only 2way. Would a 3way speaker help with this issue?
PoolHallJunkie Dont be sorry man, your trying to help me with this issue. Just cutting my dash up would be a little insane to me

Old 07-11-2008, 02:28 PM

I think anything more than a 2 way coaxial speaker is just overkill. 4 and 5 ways are completely ridiculous in my opinion. Look at all the top quality speaker manufacturers Morel, JL, CDT, Focal, Boston Acoustics, Infinity, Image Dynamics, Eclipse etc. All their top of the line coaxials are 2 ways.
I seriously doubt Sony and Jensen and Power Acoustik know something about good sounding speakers that the other's don't know, but they know that chrome and high numbers impress newbies.

Get an amp on those Sony's and you might be impressed. I don't think it would hurt anything to disconnect those dash speakers altogether.

Quick Reply: HELP Sound Quality