Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

How big of subs can I use? And check out these new pics of my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Default RE: How big of subs can I use? And check out these new pics of my car

He doesnt need all that to run that amp. ^^^^

Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 AM

Sony Explode......they call it that for a reason. Pioneer & Sony speakers are WAL-MART rejects. If I saw you rollin around with a set of 18's in the back of an eclipse, I'd probably point and laugh. All you'll hear inside is WWWWWUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMM. There will be definition to your bass, just low end noise. A nice set of 10's or 12's, a decent amp (and a couple hundred watts is all you need, it's a hatch and the whole car acts like one giant bandpass), a good amp kit, which I would expect to spend no less than $100 (wires, not "whires"), and there ya be. Good bass, relativley inexpensive, and nobody points and laughs when they see your ears start bleeding from those 18's.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM

18"s won't fit in your trunk. Before you buy anything, measure how big of a box can fit in your trunk because I got my box in there and it IS the trunk. I only have a pair of 15" subs. Sony Xplode is NOT walmart reject stuff. Sony is just using walmart to get rid of whatever surplus they have of their subs and more than likely those are Referbished. I have a Sony Xplod Set that is the Black 12" 2006 model and they sound Prestine. AND, if you run sony speakers, with sony subs, a sony head unit, and a sony amp *everything sony* You can turn it all the way up and not blow a single speaker. Mixing and matching parts to your audio will run you the risk of if you push too much power it will go BOOM, and not in the way you're looking for. Buy a walmart capacitor kit with amp installation for like $75 or whatever it costs, and then buy a spool of speaker wire that sits in the same section, I bought the wire that can push 1600 watts through it. Know the limitations of all your equipment before you start buying things or hooking them together. I have a 3 Farad Capacitor, with a Panasonicsingle Din CD player *not a cheapo*, with the stock infinity sound system, a pair of 15" Hifonics Subwoofers, anda pyramid America 1500 Watt 2/1 channelAmp (it's a lower brand of Pioneer but pretty much the same company). It sounds great but I need to upgrade the Component speakers to meet the new level of expectation that my subs bring into play.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:02 PM

5 Star,
Your 1000 watt Sony Explodamplifier issimply amarket hype for selling purposes. It really puts out :
** 165 watts per channel at 4 ohms
** 200 watts per channel at 2 ohms
** 400 watts in mono operation
** even more bad news, these ratings are taken with a 14.4 volt power supply. You are using a 12 volt power supply, so you can take away @ 10 percent of that rated power.

This isn't a bad amplifier but the power rating on the chassis is fudged.

About the 2 - 18" woofers, what brand and models are you looking at. If these are car woofers and can work in a small box, ( for a 18" it may be 6 cubic feet or more ) you may have an option of running in a isobaric mode. It will still require a WHOLE lot of space but you may be able to equilize the crap out of it and use a little smaller box. I would, like most of these guys on this site, go with 2 - 12" woofersor something.
We all want these large woofers, wejust know better now.
Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 2001gt3.0

5 Star,
Your 1000 watt Sony Explodamplifier issimply amarket hype for selling purposes. It really puts out :
** even more bad news, these ratings are taken with a 14.4 volt power supply. You are using a 12 volt power supply, so you can take away @ 10 percent of that rated power.

About the 2 - 18" woofers, what brand and models are you looking at. If these are car woofers and can work in a small box, ( for a 18" it may be 6 cubic feet or more ) you may have an option of running in a isobaric mode. It will still require a WHOLE lot of space but you may be able to equilize the crap out of it and use a little smaller box. I would, like most of these guys on this site, go with 2 - 12" woofersor something.
Good Luck!
Uh.....you do realize that a properly functioning alternator puts out between 14.2-14.4 volts right? You run 12 volts straight from the battery (engine not running), and 14.4ish when the vehicle is running. And Sony sucks hairy goat *********. They should stick to making home theatre and PC's, that's where they excell.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Did you two NOT read my last post... go read it before you speak again, and lil Evo is right, a running car puts out 14.2-14.4 volts. Like I said, KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS OF YOUR EQUIPMENT!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Lil Evo

ORIGINAL: 2001gt3.0

5 Star,

Good Luck!
Uh.....you do realize that a properly functioning alternator puts out between 14.2-14.4 volts right? You run 12 volts straight from the battery (engine not running), and 14.4ish when the vehicle is running. And Sony sucks hairy goat *********. They should stick to making home theatre and PC's, that's where they excell.
The Sony amplifier uses a unregulated power supply, it will add and substract power with it's input voltage. Your average voltage regulator will run 13.5 to 14.5 volts, it does not maintain a constant 14 + volts.( It may at a constant highway speed where RPM's are kept up )
Sony doesn't list a 12 volt, or a voltage other than the 14.4 volts for it's wattage specs. It may be down10 % at 13.8 volts, you really can't tell becausethe manufacture ( which fudged the 1000 watt rating ) does not supply it.
I see alot of test on PAS mag. where the reviewer will test at both voltages,example from this month's issue:
DB Drive PT1200.1D
14.4 volts 12.6 volts
368x1 @ 4ohms 278x1 @ 4 ohms
665x1 @ 2 ohms 499x1 @ 2 ohms
Both of these test were taken at 100 hertz ( it reads 1000 hz,but I think it's a misprint ) with 1%THD.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Wingo171

18"s won't fit in your trunk. Before you buy anything, measure how big of a box can fit in your trunk because I got my box in there and it IS the trunk. I only have a pair of 15" subs. Sony Xplode is NOT walmart reject stuff. Sony is just using walmart to get rid of whatever surplus they have of their subs and more than likely those are Referbished. I have a Sony Xplod Set that is the Black 12" 2006 model and they sound Prestine. AND, if you run sony speakers, with sony subs, a sony head unit, and a sony amp *everything sony* You can turn it all the way up and not blow a single speaker. Mixing and matching parts to your audio will run you the risk of if you push too much power it will go BOOM, and not in the way you're looking for. Buy a walmart capacitor kit with amp installation for like $75 or whatever it costs, and then buy a spool of speaker wire that sits in the same section, I bought the wire that can push 1600 watts through it. Know the limitations of all your equipment before you start buying things or hooking them together. I have a 3 Farad Capacitor, with a Panasonicsingle Din CD player *not a cheapo*, with the stock infinity sound system, a pair of 15" Hifonics Subwoofers, anda pyramid America 1500 Watt 2/1 channelAmp (it's a lower brand of Pioneer but pretty much the same company). It sounds great but I need to upgrade the Component speakers to meet the new level of expectation that my subs bring into play.
FYI
I think that Pyramid is a family owned business and has no ties with Pioneer Electronics.Pioneer to their credit, has startedrating their amps by the 2006Amplifier Power Standard CEAprogram, it doesn't like companies such as Pyramid that use peak power rating to out sellPioneer in their similar price amplifier class.

** "This may not be your amp, this is just an example"
The **Pyramid PB 1500 also usesfalse readings that fudge the true wattage numbers.
It statesa Peak power rating of 750 x 2 or 1500 x 1
ThePyramid PB 1500 manual ( online ) actually has it's trueRMS power rating.

( both readings at 14.4 volts, it will beless at a lower input voltage )
65 watts x 2 at 4 ohms
125 watts x 2 at 2 ohms

Old 10-13-2007, 07:52 AM

I got 2 audiobahn 12s in a ported subzone box that im selling. They RMS at 1100 watts each. I had them in my gsx and you couldnt max them out because they would hurt your ears and throat. Never turned them up that loud again HAHA.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:26 PM

FYI
I think that Pyramid is a family owned business and has no ties with Pioneer Electronics.Pioneer to their credit, has startedrating their amps by the 2006Amplifier Power Standard CEAprogram, it doesn't like companies such as Pyramid that use peak power rating to out sellPioneer in their similar price amplifier class.
I assume it's the same family as it came in a pioneer box.*not repackaged* The readings that individual people get are also "Fudged" on the basis of they usecruddy wireing. If you don't implement the correct tools you will get cruddy results. Don't always believe what you read in a mag. I do agree that amps do not tell you their appropriate limitations or RMS's, but in all likelyhoodthere aren't many places who tell the truth and that makes it very difficult for us the consumers to get what we pay for as we can't test this stuff before we buy it. We can only rely on what the company says or what other Re-Re's tell us.

Quick Reply: How big of subs can I use? And check out these new pics of my car