Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Replace deck, head unit on Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Default Replace deck, head unit on Eclipse?

I've enjoyed reading the various posts, am liking this forum very much. I've done lots of searching on here and have gotten an idea as to what the answer is, but wanted to ask you guys and get more of a straight answer.
I am wanting to replace the head unit on my 2001 Eclipse GT, which came with the Infinity system. (I also need to replace the center speaker from the dealer, as I blew it out, but from reading posts this seems to be a very common issue). But what BestBuy and Circuit City has told me is that I will need to replace EVERYTHING because it's the Infinity sound system. Unit, speakers, everything.
Now, posts on here have said that this is not true if the person knows what they're doing, so maybe some specialty shop will be able to install my unit.

Crutchfield.com told me this when I searched for an Alpine model:
Installation Details for your 2001 Eclipse

ยป Your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system. If you replace your factory radio, you will need to bypass your factory amplifier by running new speaker wires from the radio to each speaker.
ยป If the factory radio has a remote display at the top of the dash, it will not work with an aftermarket receiver.

1. Will I really not be able to use the amp in my car that I suppose is under the passanger seat? Will it matter, since many head units have built in Amps it seems?
2. Will I not be able to use the remote display on the top of the dash for say the Compass feature either?

Sometimes I wonder to just replace it with the exact same deck from the dealer since I needa replace the center speaker anyway, and avoid the trouble of it... But I've read that just replacing the head unit will make it sound a little better, even if I dont replace the speakers yet. Any advice would be appreciated
As you can tell, I'm way a newbie when it comes to car audio so I appreciate your patience with me. Thanks

Old 06-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Replace deck, head unit on Eclipse?

Crutchfield may be able to supply a Factory Wiring Harness that will adapt an aftermarket radio to your current amp/speaker setup. They will usually send it with a new radio purchase if you use the "what fits my car" info.
I have the same problem with my Montero, so I disconnected the factory amp and ran new speaker wires to the doors. The so called "upgraded" sound system is usually junk anyway, very expensive as an option, and the truth is that Infinity is no better than average Pioneer, Sony, and other common stuff. You are paying for a name, a fact that most people wont/cant accept as truth. You will be happier replacing the speakers, deck and amp(s) with good quality like JL amps, Focal or CDT speakers, and a good head unit. See "what fits my car" on Crutchfield and then save $$ on eBay. I have spent around $3000 on eBay and never had a bad experience. Just look for great feedback scores. Questions? ask away, I ve been doing this for a while. You can also read car audio reviews and join forums where experienced listeners debate on quality vs. price and so on at www.carreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

Old 06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Replace deck, head unit on Eclipse?

Thanks for the reply. I was actually looking at Crutchfield and what fits my car, and thats where I got that information about how I'd needa go around my current amp, and disconnect my remote display at the top where the clock is.
I can see your point about replacing everything, but at the moment I wasnt wanting to spend too much money on a whole new speaker setup.
I was more looking to spend maybe $300-$500 on a new head unit and leaving it at that for now, with my current speaker setup. This is what I am hoping is possible.
Do you know if I'd be able to do this? Id probably replace and get better speakers/amp/tweeters in the future sometime.. but for now, I'd rather just stick with the speakers, tweeters, and amp that I have, and only replace the head unit.
I'm more worried about incompatibilities or something, with places like BestBuy and Circuit City trying to get me to replace the entire setup too.