Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Speaker info/questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Default Speaker info/questions

I've been searching around and can't find specs on my speakers and reciever. I have a 97' Elcipse GST. It still has the factory Infinity sound system. I originally went to replace one of the door speakers because one of them was blown out. To replace it with the same exact thing (The system isn't half bad for almost 10yrs), but once I found out that it was going to cost me ($95) for one speaker, that was out. So I replaced it with something cheap, but is ok, and found out that another is out too. So, I'm just going to redo the entire system and upgrade. I mainly just need to know what their power ratings are, like how much power the reciever puts out and the speaker power ratings. This way I am putting better equipment in than what was previously there.

Questions I have is with speakers...what is meant by 2 or 3 way speakers? Is there any way to use the speaker covers that come wit the speakers, or am I just stuck having it sit in the door/back with the original covers. Last one...are there any recievers that have a 6 speaker output? I'm having trouble finding one...my car has 6, why lose 2?

Old 03-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Default RE: Speaker info/questions

Anyone?

Old 04-01-2006, 01:09 AM

If it is a stock radio from factor with stock door speakers, this is only a guess, your radio is @ 10 to 15 watts RMS per channel. On my 2001 GT, with the Infinity 200 watt system, I would guess it's maybe 10 to 15 X 4 with a center that maybe 10 watts rms. I am sure that they rate their systems in peak power and not RMS.

If you are planning to upgrade your system with an after market radio and use only it as a power source ( your amp on the radio ) and not an external amplifier, you may want to find something real efficient as far as door speakers.
( example: 90 db's at 1 watt is less efficient than 93 db's at 1 watt ) the higher the Db's, the less power it will require to reach a certain loudness level. 4 ohms will be more efficient than 8 ohms, you will have to double the power (watts) to make up for the higher impedance.

A speaker can be many things: EXAMPLES: woofer=low freq ( ex. 20 to 80 hz), mid bass=higher bass (ex. 80 or 100 up to 700 hz.) mid range=mid freq (ex. 700 to 2500 hz.) tweeter=high freq (2500 to 20,000 hz)
When you combine ANY of these drivers together they are called 2 ways or 3 ways.
In car audio a 2 way speaker will have a mid-bass driver and tweeter in the same basket, this may or may not have a crossover mounted in the driver, the crossover may be external.
A 3 way may be a woofer or mid-bass driver with a mid range and tweeter, this may also have a crossover installed with the driver or it may be external.

They do not sell radio's that will have 6 channels, most are 2 or 4 channels but you can combine the rear back 2 channels and make them into 4 if needed. They also make crossovers that will help you in this matter that maybe a future upgrade down the road.

If you purchase almost any name brand high power radio (** You would be much better off with a ext. amplifier **) and some quality door speakers, it should out preform almost all stock systems. You can easliy up grade down the road with a bigger amp and subs.

If you are new to car audio, you may need to ask for help when purchasing your components. You will have to make sure everything will match your needs and if you wanted to run 6 channels you will have to make a plan for that. ( example: wiring and/ or ohm ratings for speakers so you can split the back channels )

Old 04-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the info...great stuff...

Yea the front two speakers are little 2.5" tweeters. I'll probably put them and the front two doors together, it makes sense.

One more question... You know how some speakers come with their own grilles...(can't spell for crap) Is there any way to use those instead of the original speaker panels?

Old 04-02-2006, 01:46 PM

You can but I'd guess it takes some cutting and glueing/epoxy/whatever ya wanna use.

Old 04-02-2006, 02:18 PM

I believe that your speaker grills are about 8" and shaped kind of weird. This is just me and I in no way want to effect your decesion to do what you want. I would use the original grills and put the aftermarket speakers behind them. If you want to use your new grills, someone could make a fake panel that would fit in your grill space and you would then be able to mount your new grills to them. You may want to look at other Eclipse's that has had this kind of work done and get an idea of what you could do. You may also want to go to stereo shops, import car shows and look online as well. Just about anything can be done to car stereo systems, it just depends on how much your budget will allow.

Just for your information, the tweeters and the front door speakers are part of a package. The door speakers ( woofers ) and the tweeters are a two way design called a separate. They are on the same input channel, one carries the lower and mid frequency, the other carries the upper frequency with use of a crossover.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:40 PM

Yea I figured the might look a lil weird...the only reason I was asking, becuase awhile ago, not thinking at all, I went to replace a speaker. Since I've never done it before, I figured the easiest way to do it is to just take off the grille. Well, it wasn't and the grille wasn't meant to pop off...So I ended up breaking all the lil nubs that are supposed to keep it in place. I called my local Mitsubishi parts place and they said the grill is apart of the door panel, I can't just get the grille itself. The door panel costs $500, so for now its off. I did try an epoxy that was supposed to be like cement for plastic, but didn't work at all... My only problem with not using the original grille is that they are weird shaped...

Yea I figured thats what they did with the front two speakers...

Thanks, you guys here really know how to help[8D]