Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

audio - advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Default audio - advice please!

Ok I just bought a pioneer 6800 - one of the best they had already installed.
I also bought a rockford fosgate 150 watt 2 channel amp
12 inch alpine 1242 subwoofer

to run the subwoofer off the amp is okay?

i wanted to buy another subwoofer a 12 inch same sub

do i need to buy an additional amp? since my amp is only 150 watts?

thanks sorry if this sounds stupid.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Default RE: audio - advice please!

Even though Rockford Fosgate rates their amps lower than they actually are, you will need either a larger 2 channel amp or another identical amp if you plan on running another 12" Alpine sub. If I were you, I would get another amp that puts out about 500W rms @2ohm 1 channel and run it to 1 12" with a crossover set at 30khz, this will get you the very low frequency sounds. Run your 150W amp bridged to 1 channel if you can to the other 12" but run it through the crossover at a higher frequency as the higher frequencies don't require as much wattage.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:43 PM

also couldnt I get another 150 watt amp and a 300rms amp and connect the two subs to the one bigger amp and each have an additional smaller amp? would this benefit my system?

another question, what is a capacitor? would i need one?

and another stupid question but i must ask, where is the best place to get subwoofer enclosures, i want a custom one built for my trunk without having to build it myself. thanks a lot guys.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:55 PM

You will need to post more information about your system
What model is the Rockford Fosgate amp?
Do you have (2) Alpine SWE 1242 subwoofers or do you plan to upgrade in the future?
Are you using aftermarket door speakers both front and back? What kind and model?
Are you using the crossover from your radio or an external unit?
What amps ( or head unit ) are you currently using on your door speakers and your subwoofers?

**Capacitor
A car audio capacitor will act like a second battery for a very short term and when a current peak is reached that is over what your car's power system can provide, it will pull power from the capacitor. The capacitor will charge up again and repeat the process. It is used for large bass amps to keep your system from starving for power during bass transients.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:49 AM

My Car
99 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Gs

Head Unit
Pioneer DEH-P6800

Amp 1
Still trying to buy - trying for at least a 300 watt rms

Amp 2 + 3
2 Rockford Fosgate 2.6x 150 watts total power

Subwoofers
2 Alpine 12" SWE1242

Car speakers
Actually the door speakers and dash speakers do not work - and I have no idea why - probably blown so they will be replaced. how much wattage should i make those?

all the car speakers are factory
fronts are 5.25 inch i believe
and rears are 6 1/2"

do you think i would need a capacitor for this system - a friend of mine said they had a lot of alternator problems since there was no capacitor in their system. i could see that since it probably overloads the battery and alternator.

i live in jersey so if anybody wants to help me out one day on installing a system, hit me up and i'll buy you some pizza haha

Old 04-07-2006, 04:20 PM

I was thinking also, I could sell my two rockford fosgate amps on ebay, and just buy a punch amplifier with a high rms wattage to run both subs off of, does this sound better?

Old 04-07-2006, 07:29 PM

First of all, that's is a great choice for a head unit, the Super Tuners III's are among the best sounding tuners out there. This head unit also has 3 pre-outs, front, rear, and a subwoofer out. It also has a two way crossover, equalizer and 22watts x 4 channels built right in. This will give you some options with your system.

I could not find any information on the Rockford Fosgate 2.6X150 ( Does this amp have the series and model number on it? ) Some name brand amps are able to double there power into 2 ohms and some will also play in mono or bridged mode. If your's is one of them it will produce 150 watts X 2 at 4 ohms, 300 watts X 2 at 2 ohms and 600 watts X 1 bridged (MONO) at 4 ohms. If it will not produce this kind of power, I would still keep it since it is paid for and play it on the front and rear channels. It is a little much for the rear channels but it is better to go big than small and you can aways turn down your gain control.

You will have to replace your door panel speakers will aftermarket drivers, almost any name brand will do, matching the wattage with your amp isn't really that important as long as you don't go too much below your rated amp power ( example: 50 watt speakers should be bypassed if you are using 150 watt amp, you would want something that holds around 150 watts, a little higher or lower will not matter ) Keep in mind that your front and rear speakers will be crossed over at ( Pioneer 6800 specs- 50/63/80/125 Hertz at 12 db's ) Your crossover setting will be a large factor on how much wattage you door speaker will receive.

You have some options on you amp choices, if you want to use the Rockford Fosgates on you subs, you can buy a 4 channel amp or 2 smaller amps for your front and rears. ** If your Rockford Fosgate will play in mono or bridged mode this would be the way I would go. ( 600 watts X 1 at 4 ohms for each subwoofer).
If you are looking for a BIG amp for your subs, I would just keep the Rockford Fosgates and use them on my front and rear. You may have to spend some money on a large quality sub amp, if you follow E-Bay you may want to look at some older PPI's or Orion type sub amps if that's in your budget.

You can also sell your 2 amps on e-bay and buy a large sub amp, using the head unit for your door speakers, it is 22 watts X 4 channels, 22 watts would not be great but if crossover at a higher freq, ( 80 or 125 hz ) you might be pleased at the results and you could look at upgrades later. **22 watts per channel may seem like more after listening to a stock radio.

The Capacitor will just do just a little bit to make up for short coming on your power system. For Example, if you have your lights blinking or dimming with the bass beats, the capacitor would not be able to help your system out. You would need a large alternator. I have seen where some companies think that you need 1 farad per 1000 watts rms but I have never seen a test where they have showed results of using the capacitor, maybe someone else has had a positive experience with one or seen a test. You may want to check with some people that have purchased one and get their opinions.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:35 PM

wow, you have gone above and beyond to help, i really appreciate it.
i'm looking into new door speakers now on ebay, waiting for a good deal to strike..

someone from here private messaged me and offered to sell a rockford amp 4 channel 1500 watt, and i think i might bite for this amp, and your suggestions were very very helpful, and if i have any more problems i'll post it onto this thread

thanks again! 2001gt3.0