Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Subs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Default Subs

I just bought my friends subs I'm gonna pickem up tommorow after he gets done with his classes at the U of M, and then I'll hopefully install it this wk end they hit so hard. He's giving me the box 15" rockford sub amp and cd deck for like 350 and its all 1000 watts. I was wondering if it was really hard I've installed a cd deck on one of my friends cars and that wasn't that bad just all the wiring with the subs and amp,

Old 09-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Default RE: Subs

lol IMO the hardest part in any install is the deck. If you can put in a deck without frying it then your good to go to install a sub and amp. Amps really only have three wires to power it. Power, Ground, and the remote wire...

Maybe you should let us know what part of the install you are nervous about and I can give you more better advice. Also number one rule when installing anything with the system...

MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!!!

learned that one the hard way.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:22 PM

Hey prophet, i don't know if you know me or remember me....but i have a question for you. I installed a pioneer deck, 2 6x9's, and 2 door speakers on my 96 spyder. My car originally had the factory infinity amp and speaker system, but i ripped it out since it didn't connect up to my new deck. Now, the when i installed the deck, i got a wire harness specifically for the mitsu's with the infinity system, however since my new deck didn't haven't have a spot for the amp signal wire, i'm running off the decks *stunning* 50x4 power. Anyways, it sucks. I wanna get an amp, but from what i remember there is no connection on my deck for an amp, and the factory harness didn't have like any spare wires or anything on it. So, i'm kinda stuck because i don't know how to hook it all up now. And to tell you the truth, i don't even know how the amp was hooked up because there were only three wires(like you said), but that was it. Shouldn't there be an output wires or something that goes to the speakers? Every wire except for the amp signal wire was behind the dash and went out of site. Also, if i do hook up an amp, will my current deck still be running off it's built-in amp? Because if the heat is on in the car, i think the decks amp overheats and then suddenly the sound cuts off. I have to turn off the deck and then turn it back on to get anything. I mean, the cd payer and radio and stuff still functions \, but no sound comes out no matter how high i turn it up or how low i turn down. Any suggestions? Systems and stuff like that are my weak point

Old 09-22-2004, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: SpyderGS

Hey prophet, i don't know if you know me or remember me....but i have a question for you. I installed a pioneer deck, 2 6x9's, and 2 door speakers on my 96 spyder. My car originally had the factory infinity amp and speaker system, but i ripped it out since it didn't connect up to my new deck. Now, the when i installed the deck, i got a wire harness specifically for the mitsu's with the infinity system, however since my new deck didn't haven't have a spot for the amp signal wire, i'm running off the decks *stunning* 50x4 power. Anyways, it sucks. I wanna get an amp, but from what i remember there is no connection on my deck for an amp, and the factory harness didn't have like any spare wires or anything on it. So, i'm kinda stuck because i don't know how to hook it all up now. And to tell you the truth, i don't even know how the amp was hooked up because there were only three wires(like you said), but that was it. Shouldn't there be an output wires or something that goes to the speakers? Every wire except for the amp signal wire was behind the dash and went out of site. Also, if i do hook up an amp, will my current deck still be running off it's built-in amp? Because if the heat is on in the car, i think the decks amp overheats and then suddenly the sound cuts off. I have to turn off the deck and then turn it back on to get anything. I mean, the cd payer and radio and stuff still functions \, but no sound comes out no matter how high i turn it up or how low i turn down. Any suggestions? Systems and stuff like that are my weak point
Sounds to me like your wanting to insall a aftermarket amp to you system and you don't know where to hook up the remote wire?

Or are you trying to hook back up the stock Infinity amp?

Well if your trying to hook up the aftermarket amp your going to need to run a power wire through the firewall or through the fender if you can figure out how to run it that way. I perfer the firewall because it is just easier.

Where ever you put the aftermarket amp run a Ground to the car's chassie (sp?). Like if you have the amp back under the seat hook up a Ground (The wire should be no longer than a foot away from the amp) to the bolts that hold the seat down. Don't hook it up to the seat. The ground wire is very important in any system. If you don't have good grounds your going to get alot of nasty engine noise.

Now the remote wire you want to hook that up to something that turns off and on with the key turn. Your not going to want your amp to stay on or it will drain the battery. I usually tap into a fuse in the cabin. I usually tap into the stereo fuse...

Now you hook up the speakers to the amp. Make sure you run your speaker wires opposite of the car. Like you have the power on the drivers side run the speaker wires down the passenger side.....

Now if your trying to hook back up your stock infinity amp.....

Throw it out. It wasn't good to begin with and now that you are not running it just buy a good aftermarket amp small enough if you just want to stick with the 6x9's. Your going to have better sound using a aftermarket amp.

Then sell your stock Infinity ebay to help pay for your new amp

Old 09-24-2004, 01:00 PM

Cool, so i think your saying run the wires that go from the head unit to speakers into the amp instead, and then run from the amp to the speakers, right? I was thinking there was a single line from the head unit to the amp and then lines that branch from the amp to the speakers. I didn't like the stock amp in there at all, it would just sound so freakin horrible. Alright, i won't put subs in or anything, but i may replace the door speakers with some 6x9 for a little extra pleasure. I'm gonna do an all pioneer system, and the amp i'm looking at seems pretty nice. i'll update it in my profile soon.

Old 09-25-2004, 12:30 AM

Got it installed today and it hits hella hard you can hear me from like a few blocks away, all my mirrors shake you can't see anything

Old 12-19-2004, 03:53 PM

I already have the deck in mines...but how much will it cost to install a box..2 12"subs and an 800watt amp??

Old 12-23-2004, 07:11 AM

Depends on brand if you can make your own box.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:45 PM

It will save you money if you install it yourself, it's no that hard but I'm guessing it'll probably be around $100-200 at bestbuy or somewhere like that.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:17 PM

If you can make your own box then you can save alot right there. I can make the same boxes you see in best buy that go for $80.00 or more at $20.00 for a sheet of 3/4 MDF and the box will be more solidy built then those generic Q logic and still have enough wood left over to make a total of two sealed boxes. Besides it is more fun to make your own.

Quick Reply: Subs