Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

New Zealand Grandis - Decokeing!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Question New Zealand Grandis - Decokeing!?

Hi all

The next issue we have found with our 1998 model is that it has been steedly using oil and the exhaust area on the rear of the body has been showing signs of 'spitting' black stuff all over the place. Now after 5years ownership and only 135,000km were thinking that the motor is needing new rings!!

On the off chance I could sell the car to a dealer and then move on - the owner mechanic starting telling me he knew what the problems were. In NZ our fuel is not as "clean" as overseas and these cars get "Coked" up pretty bad. He said 'The fuel starts to clean our the oil around the bores and so you get that 'spitting and smoke' sometimes also the milage reduces in economy. He also suggested stop using the 91 and use the 95/96 as much better for motor. He reckoned take the car to Mitsubishi Motors locally and get it "Decoked" - I told "Aha - at $90 per hr yeh right - will have to wait.

Q - How does "Decokeing work - how is it done?

Q - Is there an alternative to having to get a Mechanic to do it and what else can you use that will "Clean" up the excess coating?

Tia

Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 AM

Strange it is only the n84w chariot grandis thats does that.
Sorry to say that 2.4 gdi engine is a bit of a dog for this

Old 05-21-2013, 02:19 AM

Mmmm getting that 'Feeling' - however after discussion with our Local Mitsi dealer - they est. 4 hours to take head off, probably new gasket set, clean and replace - $90 an hour plus parts maybe.... around total of $800 if we were to keep the car!

Another option has come to light that several years ago there was a liquid sold that some Mech's used - While Eng' hot, 1/2 qty was sucked in via the Vacuum pipe - left in Eng' off - to sit for 25mins then reapplied and ran for a few miles/Km's. The result was a softening of the Coke and real good "blow out" of the manifold - you could imagine!

Since then the product has "gone to ground" however i believe CRC products have made an attempt with a liquid that is put into the petrol tank when filled.
Something described as a 'Injector cleaner' but claiming a duel purpose for the Coke issues. Mate suggested 2 bottles at least for $30 total should help.

I could live with that for now.

Cheers

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 AM

4 hours is really good to do that job. Get the quote in writing as it will take at least twice that.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 AM

Hey guys just some heads up. Your obviously talking bout the notorious GDI 2.4 motor??
If so. It's simpe.. Get rid of it or you need to remove the intake plenum and acid bath it overnight to remove the 10mm buildup of carbon I side it so it can breathe again. Thrn you need to clean out and BLOCK off the egr valve with a gasket and then do a good service running Penrite pro50 and half a bottle of proMBL8 and injector cleaner. Reset Ecu. and a good highway drive and then it should start changing its ways
Total cost $65 and 20min removing and refitting Plenum.
I do atleast 1 a week for customers, I actually have acid bathed Pleniums ready for swap outs lol..
If your local call me and ill be happy to helpya.

Last edited by Gen-8; 05-27-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 AM
Default Thanks Gen-8

I called this guy and was had confirmed my info so far about these 2.4 GDI's.

This guy not only advised me but offered a inspection and a temp car if we were in the Town where he lived.
I tell you that this kind of service is getting pretty rare in our Town! Most just want your money and forget your name and slander others!

Thanks 'Gen8' looking forward to meet you.