Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Cleaning your Chrome wheels

Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Default Cleaning your Chrome wheels

Well spring is here and it's that time of the year to break the cars out of the garage and get them cleaned up for the nice weather. Chrome wheels always need attention. Here is a way that I used to clean up my chrome wheels when I had a set. Sometimes I went overboard and did this after every wash but it's not necessary to do it every time.

First of all, wash your chrome wheels with a soft terry cloth with car soap and water. Make sure you get all the dirt/brake dust out of the corners. I don't like using wheel cleaners on chrome wheels in fear of it dulling the finish.

Dry them off.

Then what I used to do if the wheels were really dirty was take some Turtle Wax chromecleaner and go over them well then wipe it off when it's dried. It takes alot of the dirt and grime out of the chrome. You don't have to do this step every time, like I said, I did it when the wheels got real crappy lookin.

Then after I wiped the chrome cleaner off, I went over the wheels with some Meguiar's Cleaner wax andwiped it off when dried.

AfterI wiped the cleaner wax off, I took a soft dry terry cloth (with nothing on it of course)and went over the wheels again. Kind of like buffingthem to bring out the shine further.Then BLING, BLING! Beautiful looking chrome again! The wheels were so bright I needed to get some sunglasses to look at them when I was finished LOL.

I Always waxed my chrome wheels when I washed the car but just keep up with it every couple of weeks and you should be good.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Default RE: Cleaning your Chrome wheels

Not related to the subject, but your car , I love it..... It just looks wicked, its a beauty!!

Old 04-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks man! It's a work in progress. I'm doing stuff to it all the time. Finishing off the interior hopefully some time real soon.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 AM

Hope you the best with it.... and make sure to keep us posted with pics on ur interior after it is finished.

BTW, do you know any tips for cleaning no-chrome/aluminum rims?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:17 PM

I clean my 18's that are on it now (pictured) with Eagle One A to Z all wheels cleaner. Just spray it on in sections on the wheel and wipe it off with a rag..DO NOT JUST SPRAY IT ON AND HOSE IT OFF because that won't get all the dirt/brake dust off.