Eclipse Frequently Asked Question Section This section is only for FAQs, not Q&A. If you have an FAQ reply to submit, contact a moderator or admin.

Alternative swaps for the 2G GST\GSX Turbo models ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Default Alternative swaps for the 2G GST\GSX Turbo models ONLY

Well this crankwalk thing has been beat to death. So I desided to look it up a little bit and I was able to find a few things that interested me. The most common thing done it the 1G 6bolt swap or I have even heard of 4G64 block swaps ect ect. I found some info on a swapping is 89-91 Sonata block the code for them is g4cs. alot of guys seem to be leaning this way for the crankwalk solution since now a days the 6bolt 1G motors are only getting harder to find.

For those of you who are unsure about crankwalk Read This

89-91 Hyundai Sonata 4gcs motor swap made for DSMs
There are ways to fix the crankwalk problem on the stock 7 bolt motot but it tends to be time consuming and useless when you can get a stout g4cs block that will work just fine.

A g4cs is a 6 bolt 2.4l block. This is the block you want to avoid crankwalk or having to plug holes in the block. This guy inparticular has a g4cs with a 4g63 crankshaft in it which creates a 6.9:1 2.1 liter engine which is noted to respond very well to boost but has very little low end power.

For those of you wanting the cheap route you cannot use the stock pistons and rods with the stock crankshaft and then bolt up your 4g63 head and a big turbo. The reason you cannot do this is because it creates an 11:1 compression ratio. The knock is uncontrollable even using 120 octane fuel this was found out after 2 crankshafts being toasted.

the rods are the EXACT same part number as the 4g63 6 bolt rods. The pistons are useless in this application as they would create an 11:1 compression ratio when one bolts the 4g63 head to this block. the rods in this application would be good to about 370 hp due to the extra angle placed on them with the 100 mm stroke. Everything from the 4g63 will bolt up to this block. Keep in mind the only part you are\can be safley reusing from the stock g4cs is the block and the crankshaft. You can also take a 2.4 crank (100mm stroke) and put it in a 4G63 block and bore the block enough to get 2.4L out of the 4G63 block (87mm). . The cam gears you will need are off of the 94 gs dohc galant. They only made it for 1 year. The head bolts directly on. The cam gears from a 4g63 will work but you have to make marks on both of them 1/2 tooth advanced. Use the new marks to set the engine at tdc. The g4cs block is the ONLY part of the motor that is different from the 4g63. A timing belt from a dohc 2.4 1990 glant gs and both of the cam gears are the only other thing that is not swapped over from the 4g63. Its a straight forward bolt up. Well worth the mere 1000 dollars or so it cost me to build this motor.It all depends on how much boost you want to run, the higher the compression ratio the less boost you will be able to (safely) run. There are tradeoffs for each one, and benefits as well. With higher compression you have a higher chance of knock (knock=
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/tech.html ), forcing you to use higher octane fuel to prevent the increased chance of knock. I think 9.0:1 is the general acceptance of a compression limit. 8.0:1 or 8.5:1 is a good low compression ratio.

There are many arguments to use lower or higher compression ratios. The general consensus is that lower compression ratio's will be easier to tune/work with, but a higher compression ratio would yield the most effective results (yet would be harder to tune....tradeoffs). In order to get 2.3L out of the 4G63/2.4L combo, you need to bore the block .040". Otherwise you only have a 2.270cc motor. Boring it out .040" gives you 2378cc.
Engine: 4gcs
Displacement: 2350cc
Cranktype: 6 Bolt
Vehiicle: 1989-1991 Hyundai sonata
Block Compatability: 1&2gT
Neccessary Modifcations: S, P
Comments: A 6 bolt block with stronger main webs than a 4g63

S (1g squirters)
P (pistons for turbocharging)

everything on the 6 bolt 2.4 g4cs out of the 89-91 hyundai sonata is the same as a 6 bolt 4g63 except pistons and crank. It has a 6 mm taller deck height. Everything else is the same. The same front case, same rods, you have to use a 2.4 galant timing belt, and remark your gears or get the galant ones. Everything else is the same. You dont need to drill the passages out. I, along with some others, dont add the oil squirters. I'm sure they would help but I have higher priorities and its been shown that the engine will be fine without them.

the only 2.4 6 bolt specific parts are:
crank, pistons, timing belt, cam gears.
All other parts will be the same as a 6 bolt 4g63

6 bolt 4g63 NOT G4CS parts:
timing belt tensioner, water pump, all pulleys, front case/oil pump etc

6 bolt G4CS parts you can use:
block, crank, rods, probably balance shafts if you are lazy and leave them in. Thats pretty much it.

There are major and minor differences between sohc g4cs parts and dohc 4g63 parts, even though theyre both 6 bolts. All the timing belt stuff is DIFFERENT. I found this out the hard way. Even the balance shaft sprockets are different. I thought they were the same and there is a slight difference that causes the timing belt to stick out a cm and it could cause it to break/come loose unless you use the 6 bolt 4g63 version.

Basically what I am saying is this:
Obtain g4cs block.
Strip EVERYTHING out of it.
Keep the block, crank, and possibly the rods if you arent going aftermarket.
obtain pistons with the right diameter(87mm I believe if its .020" over)
obtain cometic or other HG (with correct diameter)
obtain galant 2.4 timing belt and cam gears
Proceed as a normal 6 bolt 4g63 rebuild.(same rods, front case/oil pump, timing belt pulleys, tensioners, and all other accessories)

as I find more I will add it. but here is some spuratic INFO on the swap that seems to work well

Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 PM

well i was talking to someone at slowboy racing. the guy told me that the g4cs block will have to have a hole blocked on the deck because it has an extra oil galley. do you happen to know anything about that? im currently building one i have a few of those blocks. also what do you think about getting the block oringed? i saw a build of one and they did that. im thinking it would be a good idea but would it be worth the extra money? any more info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.