Eclipse Frequently Asked Question Section This section is only for FAQs, not Q&A. If you have an FAQ reply to submit, contact a moderator or admin.

Eclipse Head Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Default Eclipse Head Lights

I wanted to throw a couple of usefull facts to you guys on headlights for the 2g eclipse because i see some questions on here and this could help out. First if your not a fan of having orange in your headlight for the side blinker if you simply remove the headlight cover the orange that is in their is a plastic seperate peice that simply just comes out which then makes it just a white corner. To remove the cover use a type of heating sorce(Head Gun, Blowdryer) to loosen the glue in the cover and then carefully work in out with a flat object like a screwdriver. I have a 95 eclipse wich does not have the black headlights which i like so i simply masked off the corner light and painted in black inside making sure to cover the chrome piece which the light reflects off of.
If you have foggy headlights or the yellow stuff that gets on them get a some 1500 grit sandpaper and some 2000 grit sandpaper and plastic polish and a little thing of wax. Take the 1500 sandpaper first and wet sand the headlights(keep water on them). Go over the headlight one good time with the 1500 grit and you weill see the yellow come off. Then take your 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it again. Do it one good time and dry it then do it one more good time and dry it. Take your plastic polish and polish the lights real good. Then after about 15 minutes take your wax and wax the headlights one good time. After this your headlights will look brand new. I recomend taking the headlights off the car to do this so you can get the whole thing but if you dont you can still get almost all of it.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Default RE: Eclipse Head Lights

good info, thanks. I've been wonderin about that.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 PM

WHEN U TALK ABOUT A HEATING SOURCE, DO U MEAN FOR THE HEADLIGHT COVER TO REMOVE THE ORANGE PLASTIC?? I HAVE A 95 GST AND I LOVE THE BLACK LIGHTS, BUT I'M HAVING TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING WHAT U DID, A LIL MORE ELABORATION WOULD BE COOL, THANKS
-D-

Old 03-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yes a heating source. Some people use thier oven. Thus the reason it's refered to as baking the headlight. or a blow drier or actual heat gun that can be picked up at a hardware store.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:40 PM

DO U KNOW HOW MANY SCREWS ARE INVOLVED IN TAKING OUT THE HEALIGHT. I HAVE TWO FROM THE FENDER SIDE, THEN ONE ON TOP. THATS 3, I STILL CAN'T TAKE IT OUT, LIKE IF THERES ANOTHER ON THE BOTTOM OR SOMETHING? THANKS, -D-

Old 03-24-2006, 03:06 PM

yeah there is one on the bottom. The only way to get them out is remove the bumper or put a socket on an extention and try to get at the screw between the light nd the bumper.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:54 PM

I would recommend using the blow dryer it works well and im sure you can find one w/o buying it. Also the idea of using the oven worries me. As far as the screws. You have 2 on the very top, Two on the back side close to the fender and one in the middle back. Then you have 1 underneath the front bumper. Look through the bumpers openings below and look hard it might be hard to see. If you have a little brother or small hands you can do it yourself. Dont try to remove the front bumper to get them out because in actuality you have to have the headlights off the get the front bumper off unless you want to rip out the clips under them. Just find someone with small hands and have him loosen it.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:52 PM

Didn't try the blowdryer method but I just did this exact same method the other day except for I used Meguiar's PlastiX polish which is meant for plastic headlight lenses. I used my oven at 200 degrees for 6 minutes and the lens pryed right off with hardly any effort, just use a flathead screwdriver to get it started and it is easy as pie. Putting it back together you need to heat the housing again to loosen up the remaining glue and then use a flathead screwdriver to get all the old glue out of the assembly. Once most of the old glue is out of the headlight, use some silicone glue and don't be shy, fill in the gap where the lens fits into, and once you get the lens on most of the way, install the clips to seal it completely, then let the glue cure for 24 hours. I did this last week due to condensation being in one of the headlights... one week has passed and there is no condensation and the headlights look MUCH cleaner.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 PM

Is there a reason why this is a sticky?

Old 03-25-2006, 04:46 AM

Why what is sticky, Hey im glad to hear the news about your headlights im glad their coming a long good. Its great to be able to share this usefull info. Its great taking the orange out and painting them black those of us who have the 95/96 makes a huge difference. Good luck all on using this info.

Quick Reply: Eclipse Head Lights