Eclipse Frequently Asked Question Section This section is only for FAQs, not Q&A. If you have an FAQ reply to submit, contact a moderator or admin.

EVO's and DSM's a quick faq.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Default EVO's and DSM's a quick faq.

I don't know how many of you go to Talk, but I had a conversation with another guy on DSMSource about him putting an EVO turbo in his DSM. He did it and he did it by making his own exhaust mani. No biggie for him because he has the resources to do so. For the rest here's an oldy but folks still ask. So here's the info from Talk that the member Punisher typed out.

Original poster from TALK: Punisher

Okay, so I’m really getting quite tired of posting answers to the same evo related questions over and over again on the car forums, so pay attention. Here’s a few faq’s.

Q: Will an Evo 8 or Evo 9 engine bolt into any dsm?
A: Not a chance in hell. The engines on the evos are swapped 180’ from the dsm’s so it will involve much more work than it is worth. There really isn’t any advantage to having an evo engine in a dsm (other than telling your friends your sporting an evo engine, even they will think your retarded for wasting so much time and money). A properly built dsm engine will cost much less, bolt in, and most likely out perform the evo engine.

Q: Can I bolt on an Evo 8 turbo to my dsm?
A: No, the evo uses a TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (03’-04’ models), TD05HR-16G6-10.5T (05’ models) or a TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (Ti Alloy option).

All Evo 4-8 Turbos are twin scroll designs meaning that the engines exhaust is divided into two channels. As the engine exhausts in pulses. It is supposed to result in quicker spooling. From the Evo 4 onwards, the Turbo spins in the opposite direction, i.e. Anticlockwise (hence the R in the turbo name). The Titanium Alumnide alloy used (factory option) has less inertia and thus spins up around 500 rpm sooner. These Titanium turbos can be indentified by the A in their name.

There are people who have installed evo 8 turbos on dsms, it is not impossible, just not very logical. You will need the evo 8 manifold and hardware. And you will have to relocate the alternator and make a bunch of custom piping. You will be a lot better off buying a turbo that is made for “your” car. There are numerous options out there that will cost less than the evo 8 setup, but will make much more power.

The Evo 3 16g that everyone is use to is a TD05H–16G6-7. This turbo will bolt directly onto 1gs and will fit 2gs with that have been modified to use a 1g turbo.

Q: Can I use an evo 8 exhaust manifold on my dsm?
A: No, while yes it will bolt up to your head, it will not bolt up to your turbo. This is due to it not only being twinscroll (it has 2 triangular ports while your turbo has 1 round one). The turbo flange bolt pattern is different also.

Q: Can I use an evo 8 valve cover?
A: No, it wont bolt up at all.

Q: Can I use evo 8 injectors?
A: Yes the injectors will fit perfectly. They are 560cc.

Q: Can I use an evo 8 fmic?
A: Yes this can be made to fit as well. It will require cutting and custom piping. Keep in mind that the majority of evo owners replace their intercooler as they approach roughly 350 awhp. If you plan on making more power, you will need a larger intercooler.

Q: Can I use evo 8 seats.
A: Yes the seats can be fitted to a dsm. You will need custom brackets made to do so.

Q: Will evo 8/9 rims fit my dsm.
A: Yes. The rims will bolt on without any problems, however they will stick out about a ÂĽ inch in the front.
I tried the last one with my buddy's EVO 8 rims, yes they have the same bolt pattern, 5x114, and just like Punisher stated, it will stick out. If you're on springs, forget it because your car will bounce right onto the wheels, if you have Ground Control (450f/300r, off the shelf) or Skunk2's (550f/550r rates, off the shelf), you can get away without rubbing because of the stiffer spring rates.
If you're on springs and you're at stock height, you'll be fine, but not a lowered car. Mine had 5/8" of wheel gap left, btw.
Here's what the rims looked like. Sorry about the cell pic, I forgot my camera on the damn kitchen counter and I even put it there to help me remember, lol...ooops. The angles may also make it seem like the wheel sticks out a lot, but don't worry, it only sticks out 1/4".

[IMG]local://upfiles/10268/A0D21BA14DCA4E559FF749A30FECA3E4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10268/60383C7479CF47C18BEC77DA45DF9DF4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10268/89E1744E919B45A48DEE03941C3A653D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10268/8534A8A508E14E46A5722536C68853A8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Default EVO turbo in 2G

To add on to my beginning statement...Here's some info with sticking an EVO turbo into a 2G.
http://www.dsmsource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128417, you may have seen this Agallardo (I've seen you post there, lol).

Cliffnotes,

Nismo127 made his own tubular exhaust manifold, flipped the turbo upsidedown, angled it, removed the A/C fan and called it a day. By the looks of the pics, he still has some work to do with building an exhaust, oil feed/return lines, intake pipe, and IC piping.
I give Nismo props for his hard work and achievement, but again, he's got the resources to do this....for those thinking about doing this....do you have the resources? If not, he's talking about making these for people and selling them.