Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Mitsubishi Express - Is the drive plate/ring gear 6 or 7 bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Default 1988 Mitsubishi Express - Is the drive plate/ring gear 6 or 7 bolts?

Hi!

I am travelling in Melbourne Australia and I need a new ring gear/drive plate for my van. Due to it's age and the fact it is automatic I am really struggling to find the parts.

It would be really helpful if I know for sure if it is a 6 or 7 bolt plate that I need? I've tried to look into it and ask around but no-one seems to know for sure so I thought I would ask the enthusiasts!

I also need a new carby for it but again being an automatic it is a nightmare!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever owned one and had an issue with the ignition? I can take the key out whilst it's running!

Also I've had a new battery and alternator but something is still drawing the power out of the battery, any ideas?

Cheers,

Doug

Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doug802
Hi!
It would be really helpful if I know for sure if it is a 6 or 7 bolt plate
take it off and find out

I also need a new carby for it but again being an automatic it is a nightmare!
yes. yes it is. what motor, specifically is in it.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever owned one and had an issue with the ignition? I can take the key out whilst it's running!
that's a problem with the barrel, not the "ignition" and it's not really a problem, is it? you can get replacement barrels but you'll need to get a locksmith to key it for yours, or live with different keys for doors and start...

Also I've had a new battery and alternator but something is still drawing the power out of the battery, any ideas?
get a multimeter out and check. at first i'd suspect the bridge in the alternator, because mitsi is **** with them, and it will leak to ground., but it could be ANYTHING

Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Thanks for replying.

If it was as easy as taking it off I would have done that already but unfortunately because the van is my home and I also have to get to and from work it isn't an option. There is a guy helping me fix it who is charging me far less than a garage but I can't afford to have him spend hours taking it off to realise its a 6 bolt and to put it back together without fixing it. There are plenty of 7s around here but no 6s at present. The same way it can't just sit around with the gearbox off as I need to use it (unless it's actually being fixed).

I believe it is the standard 4G63 engine that it came with. Not being mechanically minded, where would I look to check? Isn't it normally stamped on the engine somewhere?

The key issue isn't a problem for me know, I just didn't know if it was affecting it starting. Sometimes I can turn the key and it will squeal where the teeth haven't aligned and then without me turning the crank at all I try a couple of seconds later and it just starts. Having seperate keys wouldn't be an issue for me, is it easy to just change the barrel over or is it complicated because of the wiring?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 PM

the flexplate is a 6 bolt lots of $$$$$ if you find one