Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

1996 Mitsubishi GS makes a rattling noise after changing belts??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Default 1996 Mitsubishi GS makes a rattling noise after changing belts??

Hi everyone. I have a 96 mitsubishi eclipse GS 2.4 non turbo. I was changing two belts this afternoon, my power steering/ac belt and my alternator/water pump(?) belt. This is the second time i've replaced them, but this time, after everything was said and done, i tightened everything back up, checked all the bolts and fired the vehicle up and the belts do not squeel, but it is making a rattling noise, which kind of sounds like someone is tapping a wooden dowel back and forth between two blocks of wood. After listening and some visual inspection, nothing seems out of the ordinary, but it sounds like it is coming from the water pump pulley. Does this make sense? Anyone else dealt with this or know what it could be?

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Default RE: 1996 Mitsubishi GS makes a rattling noise after changing belts??

Nevermind, started the car up this morning and found the problem. Smelled burning rubber and looked under the hood again. The belt in the back (i think its the one that drives the AC compressor) had come right off the track. The noise i heard was a wobbling pulley. It just happened to be the one belt i did not touch. It was not the pulley that i originally thought it was. The idler pulley was the culprit. The bearing is hitching and needs to be replaced. What caused it, i dont know, but glad that it happened now instead of later. Hope this helps others later on!