Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

1996 RVR Fuel? Issue ( New Zealand)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Default 1996 RVR Fuel? Issue ( New Zealand)

Hey guys,

So I searched the forum in both the Models as well as Region sections and couldn't really find the info I'm looking for. I just moved to NZ and bought an 1996 RVR. All in all the thing runs pretty great, and the engine compartment looks pretty clean, and for the most part, everything seems to work just great on it.

I do however notice a bit of power/performance issues which I'm thinking may be attributed to some sort of fuel or cylinder issues.

There seems to be a bit of engine hesitation when I'm doing roughly 80-85km/h between 2000-2300rpm. ( Sputtering/intermittent)

Also seems to be some issues at idle, specifically if driving in a car park and stopping suddenly, RPM's drop to the point where is seems it's about to stall, but doesn't.

Now, I'm no mechanic but have worked on cars plenty over the years, my initial thought is it might be a cylinder misfiring? Coil pack or plugs? Or possibly an issue with the fuel pump or injectors? Below or above that power setting, it seems to perform fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I don't have a code reader but there are no engine indication lights illuminated on the dashboard as well.

Cheers,

- Ricky

Last edited by Rick Nelson; 10-14-2018 at 05:32 PM.