Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not starting..AT ALL

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Default Not starting..AT ALL

Ok so here it goes,I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT v6... about 3 weeks ago my boyfriend ran seafoam through my car. The car was working fine, a couple days after the seafoam treatment (done correctly), the car started to buck and idle really low so i would press on the gas to get the rpm's higher and it would calm down. I parked it. The next day after that I went to go to walmart, got half way up the road, it started puddering, so i stepped on the gas again and this time it rev'd to almost 8000 rpm's and it shut off. We tried to start it and it sounded like the fuel pump wouldn't turn on. Parked it and called a garage. Well needless to say the garage was a piece of work. (Not going there).
They put a new fuel pump in and some other odds and ends that it needed for inspection. I had them tow it home (because the garage couldn't get it working).
I've been working on it for the past few days now, we pulled the spark plugs, covered in oil So we replaced the gasket seals. Also replaced the spark plugs. Well needless to say, the spark plugs were getting no spark. In the mean time we checked the fuel pressure, that was fine.
On to the distributor, I replaced the rotor and the cap, they were burnt up, thinking that was the problem, go to start the car, guess what...it still don't start.
I've given it a new oil change, it has a new exhaust new brakes new rotors, new calipers, new tie rods....I'm not sure were the list stops, but now i have a car that I am putting all these things into and the thing don't start. Does anyone have any ideas?
(The auto store said to check the computer, but the car don't start to get it to another garage) ((and i really don't want to have to pay for a whole new computer )) It rolls over, but it don't fire...

Last edited by Cbean2009; 09-13-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM

I would start by not dropping money into the non essentials at this point, breaks, calips, tie-rods etc wont affect your starting(I'm sure you knew that), but on the off chance you can't fix the car, there is no sence in spending all that money for nothing.

You said " It rolls over, but it don't fire... " and "I've been working on it for the past few days now, we pulled the spark plugs, covered in oil So we replaced the gasket seals. Also replaced the spark plugs. Well needless to say, the spark plugs were getting no spark. In the mean time we checked the fuel pressure, that was fine. "

Once you replaced the plugs and seals have you re-checked them for oil and spark? once you get oil in the plugs it takes a while to burn off (unless you gut the engine and clean it). I'd start there and work backwards, so spark plugs sparking? no oil in combustion chamber, cap/rotor firing?

Also, when the car turns over, is it a "eerrrr............eerrrr...........eeerrr" or more of a "err.eerr.eerrr.eerr" (thats my impression of cranking fast)?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:51 PM

I really enjoyed your impression. It makes the noise as fast as it normally would when you start it. We did notice yesterday that the crank position sensor got stuck in the pullys below and it was shredded. Just bare wires. So i know i have to replace that. I was looking around some forums and that was one of the reasons why a car like mine has no spark. We tried starting it again after the oil was cleaned out, but still no spark. They also say it could be a cam shaft sensor, that is in the distributor. And the only way to replace that, is to replace the whole thing..

(it was a little late, the other non essential parts were bought when the car was running)

Thanks for replying!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 PM

timing belt

Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Well, it was the crank position sensor. Now we just have to get it retimed because we were pulling the pulley off and the gear came out. So whoo for me.
Should be up and running soon. Couple more weeks.

Anyone want to buy it?? ha

Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 AM

I dont mean to throw salt on a wound but if someone had put a scantool on it, it would have told you the crank sensor was bad. sorry

Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Default Crankshaft Position sensor

Sorry that I was too busy working and did not see this post earlier. I had suffered such a failure about 8 years ago and I feel I could have helped you before you spent unnecessary money.

I do not know about the OBD on your vehicle, but on my 93TSI, I can get the codes using a analog VOM at home. It has the information in my Mitsu service manual I bought in 1993 when I got the car. I highly recommend you get one as it would have led you to the crank position sensor failure, I can almost 100% guarantee it.

At least for my 1993, the manual has been invaluable.