Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Mirage won't start right.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Default 90 Mirage won't start right.....

My Mirage since day one has never wanted to start right up. The cycle I go through is kinda like this. Crank about 4 or 5 times getting nothing. Crank another time or two with it kinda wanting to turn over. Crank another time or two with it turning over only to stall. Then turning over and idling rough then dying. Finally it turns over runs and after five minutes we're good for the day.

What is this?

I do believe that it's something in the fuel system. My Dad said that he's hearing was he thinks is the automatic choke clicking really fast. We have a new fuel filter for it, buy haven't replaced it yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Default RE: 90 Mirage won't start right.....

What does the exhaust look like during this ?

White smoke,

black,

clear,

blue ?

Old 02-02-2005, 01:41 AM

To my knowledge, no smoke is coming out at all. It was smoking for awhile because I over filled it with oil but that's fixed now.

This problem has been going on even before I purchased the car.

At first I thought it might be the battery or alternator, but I think it's more in the fuel system.

The check engine is on. I had a diagnostic test run on it and one of the things that came out on it was the fuel pump wiring.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:20 PM

has the fuel pump been rewired to your knowledge, if not that may be what it needs, you may want to check the wiring for shorts or corrosion before you go do or buy anything........

Old 02-02-2005, 01:51 PM

Fuel pump ? or related parts ? maybe, but do a fuel pressure test first, if the pressure is up to
specs then you might suspect the ECM (Engine Control Module) instead of the fuel pump.

Check out the picture at:

Vfaq.com
click on DSM
Then "electrical"
Then "ECU Capacitor Replacement"

Does your ECM look like this inside ?

All of these early ECMs contained electrolylitic capacitors that would degrade over time and
then start causing intermittent fuel delivery type problems varying as to when the engine was cold or hot.

All early DSM's eventually need this repair, maybe it is your prob ?

I had a simular starting stalling problem w/my '93 and a 'rebuilt' ECM fixed er right up.

DT

Old 02-06-2005, 03:46 AM

DT,
Thanks for the reply. I checked your VFAQ site, very cool!! My son seems to think that this is a G5. How do I know? Where is the ECM located, underdash?? Soldering is no problem if we need to do that.
BTW, we do have a code to check the fuel pump wiring. Where's the pump? In the tank??
90 Mirage's Dad

Old 02-08-2005, 04:57 PM

If its a "90" Mirage then check the ECM, definitely,

but if its a G5 (If this means 5th generation, i.e. 1997 to present ?) then is probably too new to have ECM capacitor problems.

I don't know where the ECM is in this model. Mine in the 93 Talon is in the dash bottom part of the center console.
(Should be mounted in the dash to keep the electronics warm and dry)
My fuel pump is in the tank.

I dont know if its the same on a Mirage.

Does your fuel pump make a whining sound ?

Find someone who can check your fuel pressure, this should tell you everything. DT

Old 02-08-2005, 10:11 PM

Just a quick tip, there are universal Fuel Pressure Gauges that you can buy at any Autozone or like company and they cost under $10. They can give a good reading of what the fuel pressure, so investing in one is a good idea.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:43 AM

Thanks guys, I haven't heard of a fuel pressure tester gauge but I'll check it out. The car is too driveable for me to think that the fuel pressure is low but who knows.
Dad