Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 eclipse starting/idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Default 93 eclipse starting/idle problem

I have a 93 1.8 eclipse with a starting or idle problem.
Here is the problem: When i start my car if it will die unless i push the gas and keep the rpm's up for about 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds it will idle extremely low(600rpm) and drop down more when i click the breaks but it will never kill once i warm it up for those 30 seconds. Sometimes it will idle correctly at 900rpm which is kinda funky so i was wondering if anyone ever had this problem or could possibly point me toward a sensor to replace. As of right now i have no check engine light but i do have a code reader for it just incase i would have to use it.

A little backround info my brother told me is that when he bought the car the starter was replaced and i guess the teeth or something werent aligned perfectly. This caused the car to have a nasty sounding cranking sound when starting the car but that sound has gone away long ago. Probably not a cause of the problem i said above but i figured i would throw the info out there anyway since i dont know what the solution to my problem could be.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Banned
Default RE: 93 eclipse starting/idle problem

Change your spark plugs and spark plug wires... Use NGK spark plugs ONLY. Not iridium... and get some Mitsubishi plug wires...

Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM

I will do that tomorrow morning then and get back to you guys then. Why NGK plugs only and wouldnt any wires work as well?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

Well NGK plugs are supplied factory. I have just had many people come to me with problems and i have traced it down to the spark plugs they were using. This happens mostly with Bosch, but other brands are also included. I have never ever heard about a NGK plug being incompatable with a certain type of engine. For example, Bosch iridium has a specific plug for the 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse/Talon, and yet they run terrible on them. I swear i could produce better spart with a midget and 2 peices of flint. NGK have always served me well. On the race track and for general street use. I did a lot of hard core circuit racing and i trust nothing but NGK. Never failed me.

As for he plug wires, i didnt really believe it for myself to be honest. I had a set of HKS plug wires on my Eclipse, and HKS are a quality company, till one day my car was having trouble starting.. and missfiring. So i pulled the plug wires to find they had corroded so bad that i couldnt put them back on. So i dug around in my box of parts (dont laugh lol) and found the Mitsubishi factory ones that had been on the car sinse new (1996-2003) and they did not have one tiny bit of discoloration or corrosion. They really did look brand new. So, good job Mitsubishi for actually making a part worth buying OEM. Not to mention other stories that im not going to go into detail about... but you get the idea. Unless your running crazy power you dont need aftermarket wires.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Those need to be replaced anyway so Ill do that in the morning tomorrow. Also i was wondering if there were any common oil leaks with this year eclipse because im burning oil somewhere and I was just looking for a common place to start looking.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Well do you see anything under the car when you park it?

Most of the time its coming from the oil pan gasket. But to be honest every car needs to be topped up with oil every now and then. Do you know if you have any smoke from the exhaust?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 PM

No smoke from the exhaust and there isnt anything leaking so something is being burnt inside cause my oil will turn black after a few days. I guess i will know if my spark plugs are affected by tomorrow morning.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

Be sure to change the spark plug wires too : )

Well change your oil when it gets like that. Change it with 100% synthetic every 3.5k miles. Soundsl ike your due for a change!

Remember when changing the oil.. let the engine get to full operating temp before you drain it and refill it

Old 08-24-2007, 02:27 AM

I will also change the wires and I had my oil changed last week. I didnt use synthetic because it cost twice as much and because I get my oil changed at a shop and they automatically put it the manufacturer specifications for what oil to use. I use to change my oil but I got tired of doing. I only spend a few bucks more to have someone do it so i dont have to deal with the dirty job and bringing the drained oil to an auto center.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

Please tell me you have always been using conventional? Because you should never go from synthetic to conventional.

Your problem right there is the conventional oil. DONT do it. I hope you havnt messed anything up.

Quick Reply: 93 eclipse starting/idle problem