Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Mirage Headlight Relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Default 94 Mirage Headlight Relay

I have a 94 Mirage with no headlights. I replaced the relay and still no headlights. I have power to the relay and if I jump the relay, I can get the headlights to turn on. However, they stay on whether the headlight switch is on or off. So is it possible I have a bad relay and/or headlight switch? Thanks

Old 02-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned
Default RE: 94 Mirage Headlight Relay

ORIGINAL: RaiderNick

I have a 94 Mirage with no headlights. I replaced the relay and still no headlights. I have power to the relay and if I jump the relay, I can get the headlights to turn on. However, they stay on whether the headlight switch is on or off. So is it possible I have a bad relay and/or headlight switch? Thanks

Well, there are a few tests you can try. To test the light switch its self just turn it off and on and check the power leads on the relay. You should get a power lead that comes on and off with the flick of that head light switch. If it is switching then that tells you that the relay is bad, you should be feeling and hearing a little tick every time you power up the head lights. The power feed for the lights them self might be bad too. Pull the relay out and use your battery to check if that is working. You can usually tell which two leads feed the lights, they will be a heavier gauge wire.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Thanks. I'll check that out as well. What's curious is I have two hot leads to the relay, but can't get the lights to go on unless I jump the relay

Old 02-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

That sounds like a bad relay.........but you said you replaced it, check to see if the relay is work right. How is the ground for the relay, check that too.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 PM

That is one of the other things I was wondering...maybe the ground for the relay is bad. That's something I haven't checked yet. However, all of the other relays in the box work. I would imagine they would have a common ground.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 PM

I guess I could have the wrong relay too?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned

You might, a part store was trying to sell me the wrong relay for my radiator fans. I know it wasn't right because of the leads layout. If you have the original one check that one off of a battery to see if it is really busted. I would think they all have a common ground.......

Old 02-14-2006, 04:21 PM

The original relay has a busted housing and mount inside where the coil is. so it is broken. The reason I thought it was the relay in the first place is one, the housing was broken, and two, if I pushed down on the relay the lights would turn on

Old 02-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned

Its so hard sometimes to help people over this board, I really am lost at this point, just try those things I mentioned and I hope it works out for you, sorry.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks for your help. You have given me a few other things to check that I haven't.

Quick Reply: 94 Mirage Headlight Relay