Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

97 GST running awkard

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Default 97 GST running awkard

not new to turbo'd cars but new to mitsubishi's 97 GST runs like its missing, turbo checks out fine I have blown the BOV out of its pipe going on the freeway before. are there any places it might be leaking where to start checking? I've also heard something about "data logging" or hooking up a computer of some sort to tweak with the setting to get it to run better/faster. not real sure could I get some help please?

Old 12-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Default RE: 97 GST running awkard

Please list all the performance upgrades you have done. Different parts cause different problems and so on.

Missing you mean stutters at boost or off boost aswell?

Go to this website and make one. It will come in handy more than you know.

Then check out www.pocketlogger.com they sell the logger software and cord for a palm pilot. Ebay will have alot of palm m105's for dirt cheap. That is what I use to tune with. The pocketlogger is good for more than the DSM community. It can check CEL codes on almost ANY OBD-II equiped vehicle. It is a VERY nice pickup.

That is all the advice I can give until I see what all you have done to the car. Fuel/Turbo/Exhaust and so on are pretty much needed to help me see what you have going on.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:25 PM

yea it souds like a boost leak, if your bov is not sealed as is blowing out then thats were i would start. do a boost do a boost leak test, if that checks out, how long has it been since you changed your plug wires.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:40 PM

all stock except for intake and filter. I actually just did the spark plugs and wires last week, all oem from the dealer. that helped a lil bit. but it has a noticeable loss in power between 4-5200 rpm and the crappy boost gague in the dash says its running fine, also, its been getting real crappy gas milage.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:50 PM

I also have not thrown a code at all and when scanned comes up with nothing

Old 12-19-2004, 11:02 PM

You have a boost leak. Possible big one. Build the tester and see where it is. If your bypass valve has come apart under hard bost you have a great leak there. If so, you are running rich inbetween shifts and even during hard acceleration.

You are not getting the proper mix of air/fuel. With the leak your engine is not seeing the amount of fuel the MAS counted. It is dumping the appropriate amount of fuel in for air counted. Most of that air is not making it to the chamber, hence the POOR gas mileage.

Are you ready at all to spend around $400? If so you will stop the leak, gain some good HP, and have a safe way to tell you are holding proper PSI. Let me know and I can help you out further.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:08 AM

tell me what I need to do. and I'll be able to do it here in the next couple weeks. also what is the deal with the pocket logger? I know its good for scanning codes but can you up your performance with it?

Old 12-20-2004, 04:20 PM

No, it doesn't change anything on your ECU.

Read up on the website. It tells you what is going on in real time and gives you the CEL codes so that you know what to fix on your own.

For around $500 to help with the boost leak problem AND give you some descent power.....

Get these things:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW $214
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...942002008&rd=1 $100 and it is ok to buy used
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW $71
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...942250537&rd=1 $60
http://www.slowboyracing.com/Boost%2...perrinmbc.html $80

The list will give you a nice feeling when you drive it. It will feel much faster and crisp to you. I do not suggest doing anything without a boost gauge, plus it will show you if there is a leak. Also, you should get a boost controller because it might be needed while you dial in the Greddy Kit/Bypass Valve. You can find all of these things USED alot cheaper. All the above are good in used condition. All of them. If it is not broke, then it will work. They are not typical wear items.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:15 PM

I am having the same problem with my 99gst. When it first happened my check engine light went on. i checked the code and replaced the o2 sensor. That still didn't fix the problem. I just put on a new lower intercooler pipe on but my gas milage is still around 21mpg(used to be 26mpg). is there something I can wrap my upper intercooler pipe in?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:01 PM

Hey, the pocketlogger only seemed to have listed for first gen not second. Does it just work for second gens too or did I not see the right kind? Also what else is out there for dataloggers? Like are there any that would work with my hp ipaq handheld?