Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Aftermarket BOV

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Default Aftermarket BOV

I would post in the turbo section, but no one has posted there in a month. I want to get a aftermarket BOV and I was wondering which is the best one that won't make car studder in idle or have bad shifting since I hear the Turbo XS RFL does that? How about Greddy?

Old 07-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket BOV

The HKS Super Sequential Blowoff Valve (SSQV) is a dual stage pull type relief valve. Unlike other blow off valves that are push type, the SSQV will not leak under high boost conditions nor under vacuum at idle. Being of a pull type valve structure, the SSQV can not physically leak under any level of boost because boost pressure also keeps the valve closed against its seat. The SSQV is actuated by pressure alterations only, not by the rate of pressure or vacuum in the line, which ensures a quick valve response and complete closure during idle. On typical blow-off valve designs, a large valve is utilized in order to accommodate high boost / high horsepower applications. However, these large valves tend to react slowly and require high activation pressure to open, therefore are not able to activate and prevent compressor surge at light-load conditions. On the other hand, smaller, fast reacting valves do not discharge the airflow capacity required for high horsepower applications and tend to creep open and leak as the boost pressure overpowers the spring on these push type valves. For maximum performance, the HKS SSQV incorporates both a small primary valve for ultra quick activation, along with a larger secondary valve for additional discharge capacity. The SSQV is engineered to initially open the small primary valve at light throttle and load conditions, then sequentially opens the secondary valve for additional relief capacity under high boost and load conditions. The SSQV is constructed of polished billet aluminum, which ensures long-term durability and visual appeal. The mounting base utilizes a circular mounting flange that provides exception flow and complete secure mounting via a C-clip snap ring and O-ring gasket. The triple-fin discharge port design produces a powerful and unique aggressive blowoff sound along with added visual distinction. The HKS SSQV is available as a universal unit for custom applications and also by vehicle specific kits for bolt-on applications. Vehicle specific HKS SSQV kits come complete with all needed mounting flanges, brackets, and miscellaneous hardware for a bolt-on installation. For Universal SSQV applications, weld-on flanges are available in steel and aluminum for custom installation.

thats what I have, I love it

Old 07-17-2004, 03:36 AM

The HKS SSQV is the loudest blow-off valve i've heard you can hear it 400 meters down the track. [sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 07-17-2004, 02:43 PM

Good stuff. That is what I am getting here in a couple of days.

Old 07-19-2004, 12:28 AM

So what is the Greddy Type S, is that as good, and how loud is it?

Old 07-20-2004, 01:41 PM

plus, you can get different fin inserts.. there's a purple one and gold.. I think. one makes the pssst very HIGH pitched and the other very LOW pitched.. its pretty cool

Old 07-21-2004, 11:14 AM

Will the HKS work on a 91 Eclipse with factory turbo?

Old 07-21-2004, 01:55 PM

Yes it will the only hard part is mounting it. You have to weld. I seen one on eBay though for $189.00 where is already comes with the 1G mounting flange attached. That would be the easiest way to install it with out welding.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:20 PM

Cool, I will have to check that out. Pa-in-law has a welding machine, but I don't want him near my car with it. He will try to destroy it!

Old 07-21-2004, 02:39 PM

tig weld it... dont even try to mig that one....... could oxy it though... maybe stick if you are good...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket BOV